6-A, 2.5-MHz, 42-V boost/inverting DC/DC converter offers fault protection
The LT3579 incorporates two integrated 42 V switches, a 3.4 A master switch and a 2.6 A slave switch, which can be tied together for a total current of 6 A. The LT3579 operates from an input voltage range of 2.5 V to 16 V, with transient protection to 40 V, making it suitable for applications with input sources ranging from a single-cell Li-Ion to automotive inputs. The LT3579 is ideal for many local power supply designs as it can be configured as either a boost, SEPIC or an inverting converter. The device's 4 mm x 5 mm QFN package (or TSSOP-20E) and tiny externals ensure a compact footprint while minimizing solution cost.
The LT3579's low VCESAT switches, 0.25 V (tied together at 5.5 A), deliver efficiencies up to 90 percent. With both switches combined from a 5 V input, the LT3579 can deliver up to 1.7 A at 12 V or 1.2 A at -12 V. For high voltage outputs, the LT3579's slave switch enables high power charge pump topologies which are efficient and require few external components. The LT3579's switching frequency can be programmed via a single resistor or synchronized to an external clock between 200 kHz and 2.5 MHz, minimizing external component sizes and avoiding “noise critical” frequency bands. Undervoltage lockout (UVLO) is user adjustable for optimal system performance. A single feedback resistor sets the output voltage, minimizing external components. Other features include external synchronization capability and junction temperature monitoring.
For applications requiring higher output current, the LT3579-1 offers a CLKOUT pin signal that is 180 degrees C out of phase with the internal oscillator, enabling the device to be used in multiphase applications.
Availability and Pricing
The LT3579EUF and LT3579-1EUF are available in 4 mm x 5 mm QFN-20 packages, priced starting at 3.30 US Dollars each for 1,000 piece quantities. The LT3579EFE and LT3579-1EFE are also available in a thermally enhanced TSSOP-20 packages, priced starting at 3.45 US Dollars each for 1,000 piece quantities. Industrial temperature (-40 to 125 degrees C) versions, the LT3579IUFD, LT3579-1IUFD and the LT3579IFE, LT3579-1IFE are also available from stock. Pricing starts at 3.67 US Dollars and 3.83 US Dollars each, respectively for 1,000 piece quantities.
- AC/DC converter control IC targets SiC drives
- GreenTouch improves energy efficiency in wireless networks by more than 10,000 times
- Bidirectional 2-A buck-boost supercapacitor charger offers fast charging
- IDT enters power management solutions collaboration with ZMDI
- Chasing the super cell
- Step-down DC/DC boosts efficiency in portables
- Plugging pinholes extends perovskite solar cell lifetimes
- Wood aerogel promises elastic high-capacity batteries
- Micro-module regulators can serve latest FPGAs with up to 144A
- 60V step-down controller can eliminate intermediate power buses
- IDT partners EPC to integrate GaN and silicon technologies
- Automotive 2A, 70V SEPIC/Boost/ Converter has 9 µA quiescent current
- Dual step-down DC/DC operates from 3.4V to 42V inputs
- Wire free: Charge your smartphone while streaming 4K HD videos
- Microchip to acquire Micrel
- DC/DC converter PCB layout, Part 1
- Energy in an emergency: How the evolution of the battery is having a knock on effect in emergency lighting
- LLC synchronous rectification made easy, robust and more efficient
- Measure heat usage in a radiator and gather consumption data for modern 'Green' analysis
- Quantum dot blinking - a problem solved?
- Using Wi-Fi to power the IoT
- Disposable battery life extender enables batteries last 8x longer
- Samsung and LG: Reshaping the future for rechargeable mobile batteries
- Semisolid innovation trims lithium-ion battery costs by 50 percent
- Graphene ultracapacitor claims market’s highest energy density
- Newswatch: Can IKEA make renewable energy payoff?
- Electrolyte additives prevent fires in next-generation lithium batteries
- Powering Ethernet, Part 1: Designing for low power consumption in operation
- UK start-up gears up to capture UK home energy storage market
- Constant-voltage topology and intelligent dimming drives LEDs efficiently
- Battery Management System Tutorial
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems