60-V battery charging controller offers power management benefits
The device offers precision input and charge current regulation and operates across a wide 3 V to 60 V input and output voltage range, compatible with a variety of different input voltage sources, battery stacks and chemistries. Typical applications include high power battery charger systems, high performance portable instruments, battery back-up systems, industrial battery-equipped devices and notebook/subnotebook computers.
The LTC4000 features an intelligent PowerPath topology that preferentially provides power to the system load when input power is limited. The LTC4000 controls external PFETs to provide low loss reverse current protection, efficient charging and discharging of the battery and instant-on operation to ensure that system power is available at plug-in even with a dead or deeply discharged battery. External sense resistors and precision sensing enable accurate currents at high efficiency, allowing the LTC4000 to work with converters that span the power range from milliwatts to kilowatts.
The LTC4000's full-featured controller charges a variety of battery chemistries including lithium-ion/polymer/phosphate, sealed lead acid (SLA), and nickel-based. The device also provides charge status indicators through its FLT and CHRG pins.
Other features of the battery charger include: ±0.2% programmable float voltage, selectable timer or C/X current termination, temperature-qualified charging using an NTC thermistor, automatic recharge, C/10 trickle charge for deeply discharged cells and bad battery detection.
The LTC4000 is housed in a low profile (0.75mm) 28-pin 4 mm x 5 mm QFN package and a 28-lead SSOP package. The device is guaranteed for operation from -40 to 125°C. 1,000-piece pricing starts at $3.95 each.
More details about the LTC4000 high voltage controller and power manager at www.linear.com/product/LTC4000
- 600V power FETs that get 'close to perfection', says ST
- 1.2 kW front-end power supply modules fit 1U shelf
- BMS optimised for high power density, low price
- Battery pack monitor IC for multi-cell Li-ion batteries
- Smoothing robot movements delivers 40 percent energy savings
- 1.5A, 15V synchronous boost regulator with output disconnect
- Intel acquires power EDA startup
- Li-ion battery monitoring LSI delivers industry-low current consumption
- Energy harvesting power management IC addresses wireless sensors
- PA module delivers 10W microwave power at up to 18 GHz
- Leclanché adopts ads-tec technology to broaden energy storage solutions
- Stadium Group acquires Stontronics to strengthen growth plans
- Could aluminium be solar cell technology's new silver lining?
- Wireless power receiver enables charging “as fast as by cable”
- Dual step-down DC/DC controller update adds PWM signals
- Can your phone batteries keep you secret on the internet?
- Tesla reveals snakebot electric car charger
- Can hydrogen charge your iPhone for a week?
- Butterflies help boost solar panel power by 50 per cent
- Samsung partners MIT to create longer-lasting solid-state rechargeable batteries
- UK Government to trial charge-as-you-drive 'electric motorways'
- 'Aqueous solar flow' battery 20 percent more efficient than lithium-iodine batteries
- World first: Samsung monitor integrates inbuilt wireless charging
- Could nanowire artificial photosynthesis put an end to fracking?
- Sol-gel capacitor beats a battery on energy density
- Simplified organic solar cells boost efficiency while lowering costs
- World's smallest emergency phone charger makes Kickstarter debut
- CEO interview: Ambiq sees broader options for low voltage
- Micro rake doubles efficiency of inexpensive solar cells
- Smarter, lighter car battery replaces lead acid types
- Why Making the Move from a Variable Transformer to a VariPLUS is the Right Decision
- A SEPIC Fed Buck Converter
- Minimizing the Impact of Source Resistance on High-Voltage DC to DC Converters
- Dual Phase Buck Controller Drives High Density 1.2V/60A Supply with Submilliohm DCR Sensing
- Battery Management System Tutorial
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications