Texas Instruments unveils industry’s first real-time JPEG 2000 HD solution on multicore DSP
Four TI TMS320C6678 multicore DSPs with JPEG 2000 codecs are available on TI’s design network member, Advantech’s, new DSPC-8681E half-length PCI express card , making it ideal for processing intensive, power efficient applications in industries such as broadcast and digital cinema. JPEG 2000 is an image compression codec offering significant flexibility and performance increases over previous versions.
With the JPEG 2000 codec running as a real-time application across four TI C6678 DSPs simultaneously , Advantech’s low-cost DSPC-8681E video engine can support 2K/4K resolution video encoding/decoding at a low power consumption of 54 W . Because TI’s C6678 DSP is entirely software based, switching codecs and parameters is seamless for developers, unlike on a FPGA. The flexibility of this new solution allows broadcast and digital cinema developers to more quickly and easily design applications than ever before. In addition, TI has reduced developers’ costs by 50 percent, running the JPEG 2000 codec on Advantech’s DSPC-8681 platform.
“TI’s new codec implementations on Advantech’s PCIe-based video engines offer equipment manufacturers the true flexibility that an all software methodology brings to video processing,” said David Lin, director DSP solutions, Advantech. “This allows them to deploy leading edge hardware today with product lifecycles significantly extended by software, resulting in a lower total-cost-of-ownership and future-proofed solutions for their customers.”
To further ease development, TI’s C6678 multimedia solution includes a comprehensive portfolio of video codecs, including the real-time JPEG 2000 codec, which will be accessible through TI’s website. TI’s full portfolio of video codecs also includes the H.264, H.263, MPEG4, MPEG2, JPEG, VC1, Soren Spark encoders and decoders. With an all software approach TI will be able to quickly bring up additional codecs in the future such as AVC Intra and H.265 on the C6678 DSP.
TI’s C6678 multimedia solution is also ideal for applications in the video surveillance, medical and mission critical industries.
TI’s JPEG 2000 HD codec will be available free for download from www.ti.com in June 2012 .
More information about TI’s KeyStone multicore architecture at www.ti.com/multicore
- 25-V and 30-V N-channel power MOSFETs offer lowest Rdson in a QFN package
- The future of wireless TV: No screen
- Programmable quad output PMIC powers any FPGA, SoC or DSP
- 16-bit, 200 Msps ADCs claim lowest power levels
- TI expands smart grid G3-PLC compliant solutions
- Wire-to-edgecard power connectors need no interconnect mating headers
- Consortium focuses on future of digtal power solutions
- USB, LAN power sensors offer world's widest dynamic range
- Could low-power 3D nanomagnetic logic replace transistors?
- High-integration DC/DC digital PWM power controller
- Electron innovation prolongs power in mobile devices
- 16nm FinFET technology; TSMC fabs fully-functional networking processor
- TI grows Simple Switcher DC/DC range with 36/60V, low Iq parts
- High-temperature Bluetooth® Smart wireless microcontroller targets industrial and lighting applications
- Power, size reductions in industrial designs enabled by 12/14/16-bit ADC families
- First round-the-world solar plane flight prepares for take-off
- Are next generation EV batteries a step closer?
- Are power management researchers really 21st century alchemists?
- Overcoming patient leakage current issues
- Long life aluminium-air battery resolves rechargeable challenges
- Solar-powered radio chip monitors windows to save energy
- How to measure capacity versus bias voltage on MLCCs
- Conquering the 'kink' in sub-threshold power MOSFET behavior: A simple compact modeling approach
- Bamboo bike uses peddle power to recharge smartphones
- Apple Watch spurs wireless charging growth in 2015
- Hybrid fuel cell advance boosts power by 20 percent
- LED buck regulator with current-mode control simplifies compensation
- Product How-to: Ultra-low noise linear regulators for powering PLL/VCO and clocking ICs
- Improved dendrite formation control helps lithium batteries last longer
- Multi-crystalline silicon PV module claims power output world record
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems
- Smartphone SoC Power Efficiency - DVFS Capacitor Switching
- Power Modules: The New Super Power
- Digital Power Management Reduces Energy Costs While Improving System Performance