Texas Instruments unveils industry’s first real-time JPEG 2000 HD solution on multicore DSP
Four TI TMS320C6678 multicore DSPs with JPEG 2000 codecs are available on TI’s design network member, Advantech’s, new DSPC-8681E half-length PCI express card , making it ideal for processing intensive, power efficient applications in industries such as broadcast and digital cinema. JPEG 2000 is an image compression codec offering significant flexibility and performance increases over previous versions.
With the JPEG 2000 codec running as a real-time application across four TI C6678 DSPs simultaneously , Advantech’s low-cost DSPC-8681E video engine can support 2K/4K resolution video encoding/decoding at a low power consumption of 54 W . Because TI’s C6678 DSP is entirely software based, switching codecs and parameters is seamless for developers, unlike on a FPGA. The flexibility of this new solution allows broadcast and digital cinema developers to more quickly and easily design applications than ever before. In addition, TI has reduced developers’ costs by 50 percent, running the JPEG 2000 codec on Advantech’s DSPC-8681 platform.
“TI’s new codec implementations on Advantech’s PCIe-based video engines offer equipment manufacturers the true flexibility that an all software methodology brings to video processing,” said David Lin, director DSP solutions, Advantech. “This allows them to deploy leading edge hardware today with product lifecycles significantly extended by software, resulting in a lower total-cost-of-ownership and future-proofed solutions for their customers.”
To further ease development, TI’s C6678 multimedia solution includes a comprehensive portfolio of video codecs, including the real-time JPEG 2000 codec, which will be accessible through TI’s website. TI’s full portfolio of video codecs also includes the H.264, H.263, MPEG4, MPEG2, JPEG, VC1, Soren Spark encoders and decoders. With an all software approach TI will be able to quickly bring up additional codecs in the future such as AVC Intra and H.265 on the C6678 DSP.
TI’s C6678 multimedia solution is also ideal for applications in the video surveillance, medical and mission critical industries.
TI’s JPEG 2000 HD codec will be available free for download from www.ti.com in June 2012 .
More information about TI’s KeyStone multicore architecture at www.ti.com/multicore
- Smart power switch replaces discretes in powertrain and automotive body electronics
- Ultra-low-power 32-bit MCU platform targets industrial and IoT applications
- Wide Vin, four-switch buck-boost DC/DC offers efficiency with reduced EMI
- 80-V half-bridge GaN FET module targets GaN power-conversion solutions
- Digital DC/DC controllers programmable from 375kHz to 1.25MHz
- TI claims first for a primary-regulated, “zero standby power”, higher-power AC/DC PSU
- 65-V synchronous step-down converter for industrial, smart grid, automotive
- Samsung phones pack 14nm SoC
- Battery-less IoT connectivity enabled by low-power & multi-standard wireless MCU
- Nano power modules redefine space-constrained power supply designs
- 25-V and 30-V N-channel power MOSFETs offer lowest Rdson in a QFN package
- The future of wireless TV: No screen
- Programmable quad output PMIC powers any FPGA, SoC or DSP
- 16-bit, 200 Msps ADCs claim lowest power levels
- TI expands smart grid G3-PLC compliant solutions
- High efficiency resonant mode implementation using digital control
- A simple method for determining the optimal operating point of an LED
- Can Dyson clean up in the battery sector?
- IKEA and Samsung back Qi wireless charging advance
- WPT breaks all connections, Part 1
- Data-acquisition: The key to a smart electrical grid
- Solar-powered plane completes first leg of global record attempt
- Solar plane passes new test ahead of planned world tour
- Lithium battery shipments on passenger planes face ban
- Real-time power GaN waveform monitoring
- Lithium storage principle offers higher energy storage densities
- Advantages of power blocks for high-current POLs
- Is UK Government cutting solar subsidies too soon?
- Cheaper ultrathin perovskite solar cells target commerical viability
- Infineon dual-source Panasonic normally-off 600-V GaN power devices
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems
- Smartphone SoC Power Efficiency - DVFS Capacitor Switching