TechnologyPhotoswitching material harnesses solar power for heat storage April 15, 2014 A team of researchers at MIT and Harvard University have developed a material that is capable of absorbing the sun’s heat and then storing the energy in a chemical form which can be released on demand. Read more Quantum dot solar concentrator opens energy harvesting window April 14, 2014 Quantum dot researchers have demonstrated that a house window may be capable of doubling as a solar panel. Read more Nanowire tuning improves LED lighting and PV performance April 14, 2014 Researchers at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) have discovered that by making changes at the atomic level in nanowires offers a number of possibilities for improvements in the performance of solar cells and LED lighting. Read more Low-energy light detection breakthrough aims high April 14, 2014 Researchers at Georgia State University and the University of Leeds have discovered a way to use standard semiconductors to detect light over a much broader range of wavelengths which opens new possibilities in solar power generation and low-energy light detection. Read more Porous silicon generates hydrogen from sunlight April 11, 2014 A team mechanical engineers at Penn State have discovered a new method of manufacturing porous silicon which can use solar energy to generate hydrogen from water and could be used as the anode in a lithium ion battery. Read more Panasonic cracks solar cell 25 percent conversion efficiency barrier April 10, 2014 Panasonic Corporation is claiming to be the first organization in the world to break through the 25% conversion efficiency barrier for practical size solar cells at the research level. Read more Batteries for space exploration - the final frontier? April 10, 2014 NASA has begun the search for a next generation of energy storage technologies to replace the battery technology that has previously powered the organization's space program. Read more Nanoparticles provide efficiency gains for thinner solar cells April 09, 2014 Nanostructures could enable more light to be directed into the active layer of solar cells to boost their efficiency. Prof. Martina Schmid (HZB und Freie Univ. Berlin) has now measured how irregularly distributed silver particles influence the absorption of light. Read more Compact electric powertrain does it without rare earth metals April 08, 2014 A research consortium of Infineon, Siemens, transmission company ZF Friedrichshafen and the Dresden Technical University has developed a motor for electric vehicles that has the potential to boost electric mobility: Though it does not contain any expensive rare earth metals, it is 15% lighter and significantly ... Read more Cellulose processing breakthrough cuts cost of supercapacitors April 08, 2014 Chemists from Oregon State University (OSU) have discovered that cellulose – the most abundant organic polymer on Earth and a component of trees – can be heated in a furnace in the presence of ammonia, and turned into the building blocks for supercapacitors. Read more
MOST POPULAR NEWS
- From 20x faster batteries to spray-on solar cells
- The benefits of the coupled inductor technology
- French-German collaborators claim solar cell efficiency world record
- Vicor extends “component power” concepts with VIA package
- BMW and Tesla look at car battery alliance
- Electrostatic potential technique harvests more of the sun’s energy
- Australian researchers claim solar energy efficiency world record
- Death to "half-power handsets"
- Do electric vehicle batteries on the grid make sense?
- Product How-to: Power supply Black Box revolutionizes customer diagnostics
- New electrolyte promises cheaper high efficiency magnesium-sulfur batteries
- How does a Blu-ray disc improve solar cell performance?
- Heliatek completes world's first BIOPV concrete façade installation
- LXI + PoE: Essential design considerations
- Polarizing filter reduces energy drain from smartphone displays
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems
- Smartphone SoC Power Efficiency - DVFS Capacitor Switching
- Power Modules: The New Super Power
- Digital Power Management Reduces Energy Costs While Improving System Performance
- How to Charge Supercapacitor Banks for Energy Storage