BASF acquires materials expert company for Li-ion batteries
With 167 employees, Novolyte operates sites in the United States and China. BASF purchases Novolyte from Arsenal Capital Partners, a U.S.-based private equity firm. The acquisition comprises Novolyte's Energy Storage activities focused on developing, producing and marketing performance electrolyte formulations for lithium-ion batteries.
BASF also buys Novolyte's performance materials business in which the company is among the leading manufacturers of specialty chemicals in North America. The portfolio includes aryl phosphines, high-performance solvents and custom-made specialties. The acquisition includes 10 patent families in the fields of electrolyte formulation and performance chemicals held by Novolyte. Additionally within the framework of the acquisition, BASF will continue a joint venture of Novolyte with Korean partner Foosung Co., Ltd., a global producer of the high-purity specialty salt Lithium Hexafluorophosphate (LiPF6), a key material for manufacturing lithium-ion battery electrolytes. These electrolytes are key performance components in the fast-growing market of lithium-ion batteries for automotive, consumer and industrial markets. The move is part of BASF's strategy to become a leading vendor of battery materials for the emerging electromobility markets.
Novolyte operates production sites in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and in Suzhou, China. An additional site for LiPF6 production is currently under construction in Nantong, China, to be operated by the Foosung/BASF joint venture. Both Chinese sites are located in the greater Shanghai area.
Innovative materials and functional components are prerequisites for safe, efficient and affordable electromobility. Together with partners in industry and science BASF is developing materials and technologies for next generation lithium-ion batteries as well as for future battery systems. The aim is to reduce the time to market for new solutions to energy storage. A major step on this road is the construction of a manufacturing plant for battery materials in Elyria, Ohio.
Along with battery materials, plastics and composites for lightweight automotive design and solutions for improved heat management, such as IR-reflective pigments for coatings and vehicle interior uses, have major roles to play.
- World's lowest power Bluetooth smart chip is unveiled
- Printed, flexible and organic electronics will enjoy a solid growth over the next decade says IDTechEx
- Ultra-low-power SoC supports world's smallest Bluetooth location stickers
- Imec and Renesas collaborate on ultra-low power short range radios
- In vivo tests show EnerChip batteries are biologically safe for all applications
- TO-leadless package targets high current applications up to 300-A
- Li-ion cells target industrial power applications
- 100-mA synchronous buck converter delivers 150-V input capability with 12-uA quiescent current
- Swindon Silicon Systems signs technology partnership deal with ZPower
- Infineon adds compact half-bridge gate driver family to address power applications
- Volvo evaluates flywheel hybrid drive - fuel savings of up to 25%
- PV storage market is set to grow to USD19bn by 2017
- Accutronics offers new custom battery service
- Nordic Semiconductor releases world's smallest Bluetooth low energy and ANT+ ICs
- Power-One enters into patent license agreement with Microchip
- Quad-MOSFET solution boosts efficiency and eliminates heat sinking in active bridge applications
- Advanced microcontroller combines floating point and low leakage technology to achieve longest battery lifetime in portable applications
- Power MOSFETs are 80 percent smaller than conventional chips while offering better thermal dissipation
- Market for GaN and SiC power semiconductors set to rise by factor of 18 in next decade
- Research project to strengthen Europe's role as power semiconductor production site kicks off at Infineon in Villach
- High Voltage Surge Stoppers Ensure Reliable Operation During Power Surges
- Motor-Drive Design made Simple
- Adaptive Cell Converter Topology Enables Constant Efficiency in PFC Applications
- Micropower Isolated Flyback Converter with Input Voltage Range from 6V to 100V
- Derating of Schottky Diodes
- Heatsink Optimization
- High Performance ZVS Buck Regulator Removes Barriers To Increased Power Throughput
- Waste heat replaces batteries
- Stepper Motor Control IC
- 50Ω Gain Block IF Amplifier