Developing and strengthening 3D IC manufacture in Europe
There are many issues that need to be addressed for 3D IC manufacture, and now is the chance for Europe to bring IC production back from Asia, according to Kundert. In highly automated fabs, it may no longer be economical to produce ICs in Asia, especially with all the associated costs of staff travel, and complex machine parts imports/exports, Kundert highlighted. In fact, there is a reverse relocation trend happening, from Asia to Europe and to the US.
As a global semiconductor industry association, SEMI Europe's role is also to ensure that its members can compete with the Asian and American industry on fair grounds, with the same sort of tax reliefs and energy deals, but also with more education in electronics.
In that sense, the European 3D TSV Summits recent success helps raise the semiconductor industrys visibility and get the message across the European Commission. SEMI Europe documents the industry and negotiates with the European Commission on behalf of its members.
The European Commission has now understood that semiconductors represent a key enabling technology for growth in Europe, and this needs to be supported not only with spending in R&D, but also by financing pilot production lines. We are here to raise the issues and to provide a single European strategy for the semiconductor industry, comforting our members that they have a future in Europe concluded Kundert.
- 2.4 GHz high power RF amplifier meets 256 QAM modulation specs
- Tech Data to distribute Kanex mobile power solutions
- Automotive/industrial buck controller maintains efficiency at high conversion ratios
- Precision op amps operate on 140V supply
- Wireless charging - a more cost-effective approach
- Programmable power supplies deliver up to 650Vdc
- 1.8V oscillator matches lower voltage levels of current chip sets
- High voltage recuperation heater drives EV power savings
- 10-kW power supplies offer 400-kV or 500k-V output voltages
- Advanced Energy Industries acquires UK high-voltage power business
- Can wind turbines generate lightning?
- 700-V 8-inch 0.18-um power platform focuses on driving LEDs
- Europe to cut on e-Waste with common phone charger
- Europe loses PV market lead to Asia in 2013
- High-power TVS diodes for AC/DC power line applications
- FAA sparks more safety fears regarding lithium batteries
- High-temperature superconductivity discovery paves way for energy superhighways
- Audi makes the leap to 48V supply
- Cracking the diode compromise
- Lithium-ion to primary battery power design conversion strategies
- Tattoo biobatteries produce power from sweat
- View noisy signals with a stable oscilloscope trigger
- Semiconductor advance makes ultra-thin solar cells a reality
- Panasonic and Tesla Gigafactory battery plan forges ahead
- How Bluetooth Low Energy is driving designs for the Internet of Things
- Calculation of the Power Factor in current transients and the relative uncertainty
- BMW invoke fast battery chargers to spark EV sales
- Battery-powered water splitter delivers low-cost emissions-free fuel cells
- Can solar cells result from recycling lead-acid batteries?
- Wi-Fi backscatter provides power for IoT devices
- Comparing harmonics mitigation techniques
- New Linear Regulators Solve Old Problems
- Non-Metallic Contact Power Measurement Ensures Safety at the Worksite
- IEGT Plus SiC: A Hybrid Approach to Inverter Efficiency and Performance Improvement
- LTpower CADII Introduction & Quick Start Guide
- Integrated Analog and Digital Power Supply for Remote Sensors
- USB 5V 2.5A Output, 42V Input Synchronous Buck with Cable Drop Compensation