Developing and strengthening 3D IC manufacture in Europe
There are many issues that need to be addressed for 3D IC manufacture, and now is the chance for Europe to bring IC production back from Asia, according to Kundert. In highly automated fabs, it may no longer be economical to produce ICs in Asia, especially with all the associated costs of staff travel, and complex machine parts imports/exports, Kundert highlighted. In fact, there is a reverse relocation trend happening, from Asia to Europe and to the US.
As a global semiconductor industry association, SEMI Europe's role is also to ensure that its members can compete with the Asian and American industry on fair grounds, with the same sort of tax reliefs and energy deals, but also with more education in electronics.
In that sense, the European 3D TSV Summits recent success helps raise the semiconductor industrys visibility and get the message across the European Commission. SEMI Europe documents the industry and negotiates with the European Commission on behalf of its members.
The European Commission has now understood that semiconductors represent a key enabling technology for growth in Europe, and this needs to be supported not only with spending in R&D, but also by financing pilot production lines. We are here to raise the issues and to provide a single European strategy for the semiconductor industry, comforting our members that they have a future in Europe concluded Kundert.
- Programmable power supplies deliver up to 650Vdc
- 1.8V oscillator matches lower voltage levels of current chip sets
- High voltage recuperation heater drives EV power savings
- 10-kW power supplies offer 400-kV or 500k-V output voltages
- Advanced Energy Industries acquires UK high-voltage power business
- Can wind turbines generate lightning?
- 700-V 8-inch 0.18-um power platform focuses on driving LEDs
- Europe to cut on e-Waste with common phone charger
- Europe loses PV market lead to Asia in 2013
- High-power TVS diodes for AC/DC power line applications
- Power-efficient micro-mirror array delivers brighter HD image quality
- Digital power controller aims to accelerate street-light conversions
- Facebook attracts server startups
- High voltage processes added to Europractice MPW schedule
- Low-profile, high-current inductor delivers rated currents to 100-A in 8787 case size
- Digital control unveils a new epoch in PFC design
- Sensing elements for current measurements - Part 2
- Inductive charging takes shape at BMW and Daimler
- Sensing elements for current measurements - Part 3
- High-temperature superconductivity discovery paves way for energy superhighways
- DC power grid taps electronic circuit breaker research
- Samsung SDI batteries to drive future BMW EVs
- Transformer design: For which safety standards should you be concerned?
- Surfer triples Li-ion battery performance with sandy solution
- Electric vehicle infrastructure-based chargers made easy
- Researchers devise high-capacity supercaps for cars
- An inflexion point for energy harvesting and the Internet of Things is nigh
- 'Hot carrier' study opens solar cell efficiency advances
- BMW invoke fast battery chargers to spark EV sales
- PV concentrator module attains efficiency of 36.7 percent
- Non-Metallic Contact Power Measurement Ensures Safety at the Worksite
- IEGT Plus SiC: A Hybrid Approach to Inverter Efficiency and Performance Improvement
- LTpower CADII Introduction & Quick Start Guide
- Integrated Analog and Digital Power Supply for Remote Sensors
- USB 5V 2.5A Output, 42V Input Synchronous Buck with Cable Drop Compensation
- Supplying DC input power to string inverters
- Optimise Thermal Management of ChiP Products