Developing and strengthening 3D IC manufacture in Europe
There are many issues that need to be addressed for 3D IC manufacture, and now is the chance for Europe to bring IC production back from Asia, according to Kundert. In highly automated fabs, it may no longer be economical to produce ICs in Asia, especially with all the associated costs of staff travel, and complex machine parts imports/exports, Kundert highlighted. In fact, there is a reverse relocation trend happening, from Asia to Europe and to the US.
As a global semiconductor industry association, SEMI Europe's role is also to ensure that its members can compete with the Asian and American industry on fair grounds, with the same sort of tax reliefs and energy deals, but also with more education in electronics.
In that sense, the European 3D TSV Summits recent success helps raise the semiconductor industrys visibility and get the message across the European Commission. SEMI Europe documents the industry and negotiates with the European Commission on behalf of its members.
The European Commission has now understood that semiconductors represent a key enabling technology for growth in Europe, and this needs to be supported not only with spending in R&D, but also by financing pilot production lines. We are here to raise the issues and to provide a single European strategy for the semiconductor industry, comforting our members that they have a future in Europe concluded Kundert.
- 700-V 8-inch 0.18-um power platform focuses on driving LEDs
- Europe to cut on e-Waste with common phone charger
- Europe loses PV market lead to Asia in 2013
- High-power TVS diodes for AC/DC power line applications
- Power-efficient micro-mirror array delivers brighter HD image quality
- Digital power controller aims to accelerate street-light conversions
- Facebook attracts server startups
- High voltage processes added to Europractice MPW schedule
- Low-profile, high-current inductor delivers rated currents to 100-A in 8787 case size
- Sheffield-based environmental IT cooling start-up secures USD10m in international investment
- NXP and EnOcean spotlight wireless smart lighting network using energy harvesting switch
- AHB cache controller IP improves performance of NVM in SoCs
- Interface integrates e-vehicles into smart grid
- RFID magnetometer tag enables instant magnetic field measurements
- Power-supply controller IC slashes system cost and footprint
- Fly-buck adds well-regulated isolated outputs to a buck without optocouplers
- Newswatch: Will pollution in China cloud Tesla's battery plans?
- SMPS: a crucial component of the system data center
- Tesla car battery fires caused by road debris damage
- III-V solar cells on graphene break efficiency record
- Power Tip 69: A simple oversight can ruin EMI performance
- Packaging advances match semiconductor progress in power converter miniaturisation
- Quantum dot solar concentrator opens energy harvesting window
- Slideshow: Focusing on power trends at APEC 2014
- Perovskite-based solar cell breakthrough offers 24-hour benefits
- Simple PS voltage splitters based on audio amplifiers - Part 3
- Solar cell efficiency - Is it all in the mix?
- Four-quadrant DC/DC switching regulator smoothly transitions from positive to negative output voltages for FPGA
- Panasonic cracks solar cell 25 percent conversion efficiency barrier
- Chemical breakthrough optimizes solar cell efficiency performance
- Integrated Analog and Digital Power Supply for Remote Sensors
- USB 5V 2.5A Output, 42V Input Synchronous Buck with Cable Drop Compensation
- Supplying DC input power to string inverters
- Optimise Thermal Management of ChiP Products
- ON Semiconductor Hybrid Power Solutions
- High Efficiency, 150V 100mA Synchronous Step-Down Regulator
- High-voltage DC distribution is key to increased system efficiency and renewable-energy opportunities