Digital power solution offers system-level benefits compared with hybrid digital and analog alternatives
“As a pioneer in the manufacture of motherboards and graphics cards, we embraced the leading-edge true digital power solution offered by IR. We were able to implement an extremely high performance overclocking feature set using IR’s unique range of technologies. As a result, IR’s easily implementable, highly efficient and effective system-level solution was exceptionally well suited to our all digital 3D Power X79 Series of motherboards,” said Henry Gao, Vice President of the GIGABYTE Motherboard Business Unit.
Deepak Savadatti, Vice President and General Manager, IR’s Enterprise Power Business Unit, explained: “We engineered enormous flexibility and superior voltage regulation into our controllers, allowing GIGABYTE and their customers to overclock these newest complex processors and DDR memory to levels that were not possible with analog or hybrid digital control.”
Featuring Dynamic Phase Control (DPC) and Variable Gate Drive (VGD) technology, IR’s true digital solution enables more efficient delivery of power to the processor over the entire load range to enhance system performance and end-user experience. IR’s CHiL digital controller eliminates many external components necessary using hybrid digital or analog controller solutions to offer a small, high density solution that allows incremental space on the motherboard to add extra system-level features.
The IR digital platform features a non-linear control architecture (adaptive transient algorithm, ATA) to allow best dynamic response with reduced output capacitor count to keep up with the demanding and highly variable workloads of the processor. Its true digital engine allows superior on-the-fly performance optimization across the full operating range and even above the range of the processor without the need to modify hardware, while maintaining fully stable operation. The solution also provides a full suite of telemetry via built-in I2C digital interface to offer real-time monitoring of voltage, current, temperature and power to fully optimize and maximize power delivery to the processor.
IR’s end-to-end DC-DC solutions offer an opportunity to optimize performance, power density, solution cost and time-to-market for customers. IR’s CHiL true digital controllers may be paired with high performance, high density integrated PowIRstage devices or discrete MOSFETs and drivers to meet end-customers power management requirements.
Visit International Rectifier at www.irf.com
- High-integration power management ICs targets portable computing devices
- GPTG agrees global distribution deal with Digi-Key
- 10W charger design for smart mobile devices meets latest specs
- The ultimate 'Selfie' solution: A self-powered video camera
- 200W, 98%, buck-boost regulators in 10x14mm module format
- Harvesting energy from electromagnetic waves
- Europe’s first commercial Li-ion ESS deployment supports Faroe wind farm
- Battery-backed power supplies maintain up to 115W
- Baseplate cooled AC-DC power supplies deliver 110W
- 75W triple output AC-DC power supplies
- Harvester makes light work of powering IoT devices
- Compact 100W baseplate-cooled power supply
- 7.0x7.5mm shielded power inductors take up to 59.2A
- Bluetooth Smart Wearable-on-Chip offers industry-leading battery life performance
- High power low-pass filters handle up to 2500 W
- Bias power made easy
- Revealed - The real impact of battery bounce testing
- Will energy-saving lightbulb become graphene's first commercial success?
- Polymer discovery paves way for low-cost ultrafast batteries
- How to get higher efficiency at lower loads: A new LLC platform makes it possible
- Has Google entered the battle for next-generation batteries?
- WPT breaks all connections, Part 3
- Quick-charging hybrid supercapacitor trumps thin-film lithium battery
- Can fast-charging aluminum-ion battery dampen safety fears?
- WPT breaks all connections, Part 2
- Power grids - How many EVs can be charged simultaneoulsy?
- Will metal-free catalyst lower rechargeable zinc-air battery costs?
- Is UK Government cutting solar subsidies too soon?
- Medical devices: Where wireless charging has real impact
- MIT pinpoints promising pathways for solar photovoltaic power
- Battery Management System Tutorial
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems