Digital power solution offers system-level benefits compared with hybrid digital and analog alternatives
“As a pioneer in the manufacture of motherboards and graphics cards, we embraced the leading-edge true digital power solution offered by IR. We were able to implement an extremely high performance overclocking feature set using IR’s unique range of technologies. As a result, IR’s easily implementable, highly efficient and effective system-level solution was exceptionally well suited to our all digital 3D Power X79 Series of motherboards,” said Henry Gao, Vice President of the GIGABYTE Motherboard Business Unit.
Deepak Savadatti, Vice President and General Manager, IR’s Enterprise Power Business Unit, explained: “We engineered enormous flexibility and superior voltage regulation into our controllers, allowing GIGABYTE and their customers to overclock these newest complex processors and DDR memory to levels that were not possible with analog or hybrid digital control.”
Featuring Dynamic Phase Control (DPC) and Variable Gate Drive (VGD) technology, IR’s true digital solution enables more efficient delivery of power to the processor over the entire load range to enhance system performance and end-user experience. IR’s CHiL digital controller eliminates many external components necessary using hybrid digital or analog controller solutions to offer a small, high density solution that allows incremental space on the motherboard to add extra system-level features.
The IR digital platform features a non-linear control architecture (adaptive transient algorithm, ATA) to allow best dynamic response with reduced output capacitor count to keep up with the demanding and highly variable workloads of the processor. Its true digital engine allows superior on-the-fly performance optimization across the full operating range and even above the range of the processor without the need to modify hardware, while maintaining fully stable operation. The solution also provides a full suite of telemetry via built-in I2C digital interface to offer real-time monitoring of voltage, current, temperature and power to fully optimize and maximize power delivery to the processor.
IR’s end-to-end DC-DC solutions offer an opportunity to optimize performance, power density, solution cost and time-to-market for customers. IR’s CHiL true digital controllers may be paired with high performance, high density integrated PowIRstage devices or discrete MOSFETs and drivers to meet end-customers power management requirements.
Visit International Rectifier at www.irf.com
- Power capacitor addresses e-mobility
- Multi-channel load sink driver consumes 12x less power
- LDO regulator has ultra-low noise, high PSRR, for sensitive RF applications
- Bluetooth SoCs target ultra-low power Blue Gecko applications
- Single output, 5-20W medically approved power supplies
- Power factor correction boost controller achieves 0.99 PF
- LED power supply market to triple in next five years
- 800W, micro redundant industrial PC power supply in 1-U space
- 200W DC/DC has ultra-wide output voltage range for radio PA applications
- SMD DC-DC converters uprate efficiency, isolation and temperature range
- WPC extends capabilities of Qi wireless power standard
- Power supply design tool is offered as cloud-based app
- Voltage optimisation innovation provides renewable energy at peak times
- High power LNA can be tuned to cover 700 to 3800 MHz
- Infineon claims lowest FET resistance at 80V and 100V
- How to ground and power complex circuits
- Low EMI automotive power designs
- World’s first polychrome organic solar module is revealed
- Envelope Tracking Modulator with quad power IC and FPGA control
- Simple analog ASIC solves difficult thermal analysis problems
- Power supply de-rating in practice
- LDO design techniques for small spaces
- Will energy-harvesting 3D printed trees charge your smartphone?
- Ultra-low power system for wearable devices
- Can 'baking powder' effect boost solar cell efficiencies?
- Plugging solar cell pinholes key to perovskite performance
- Challenges in battery management for hybrid/electric vehicles
- Tesla reveals plans to target household energy-storage market
- Shrimp shells provide cheap sustainable solar cell material
- Optimized perovskite films claim record power conversion efficiencies
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems
- Smartphone SoC Power Efficiency - DVFS Capacitor Switching
- Power Modules: The New Super Power