Digital power solution offers system-level benefits compared with hybrid digital and analog alternatives
“As a pioneer in the manufacture of motherboards and graphics cards, we embraced the leading-edge true digital power solution offered by IR. We were able to implement an extremely high performance overclocking feature set using IR’s unique range of technologies. As a result, IR’s easily implementable, highly efficient and effective system-level solution was exceptionally well suited to our all digital 3D Power X79 Series of motherboards,” said Henry Gao, Vice President of the GIGABYTE Motherboard Business Unit.
Deepak Savadatti, Vice President and General Manager, IR’s Enterprise Power Business Unit, explained: “We engineered enormous flexibility and superior voltage regulation into our controllers, allowing GIGABYTE and their customers to overclock these newest complex processors and DDR memory to levels that were not possible with analog or hybrid digital control.”
Featuring Dynamic Phase Control (DPC) and Variable Gate Drive (VGD) technology, IR’s true digital solution enables more efficient delivery of power to the processor over the entire load range to enhance system performance and end-user experience. IR’s CHiL digital controller eliminates many external components necessary using hybrid digital or analog controller solutions to offer a small, high density solution that allows incremental space on the motherboard to add extra system-level features.
The IR digital platform features a non-linear control architecture (adaptive transient algorithm, ATA) to allow best dynamic response with reduced output capacitor count to keep up with the demanding and highly variable workloads of the processor. Its true digital engine allows superior on-the-fly performance optimization across the full operating range and even above the range of the processor without the need to modify hardware, while maintaining fully stable operation. The solution also provides a full suite of telemetry via built-in I2C digital interface to offer real-time monitoring of voltage, current, temperature and power to fully optimize and maximize power delivery to the processor.
IR’s end-to-end DC-DC solutions offer an opportunity to optimize performance, power density, solution cost and time-to-market for customers. IR’s CHiL true digital controllers may be paired with high performance, high density integrated PowIRstage devices or discrete MOSFETs and drivers to meet end-customers power management requirements.
Visit International Rectifier at www.irf.com
- 1-W DC/DC converter reduces footprint by 34 percent
- Power magnetics Lab Kit enters education
- DC output drive modules for reactive loads offer reverse energy protection
- “True 150W” AC/DC power supply in 2 x 4-in. format
- Precision power analyzer claims world's highest power measurement accuracy
- Power factor correction ICs target light-load performance
- Power saving MEMS-based mirror-like display harnesses ambient light
- 700V HVIC MOSFET drivers improve reliability, cut footprint
- Exagan raises 5.7m euros to produce GaN-on-Si power-switches on 200-mm wafers
- RF power transistors to reach consumers' dishes
- IGBT and diode function on single chip deliver enhanced reliability
- 500W power supply minimises footprint
- SoC IP: ultra low-power cells for always-on blocks
- 3-channel, fully-integrated ultralow power regulator/switch
- DC/DC converter PCB layout, Part 1
- Energy in an emergency: How the evolution of the battery is having a knock on effect in emergency lighting
- LLC synchronous rectification made easy, robust and more efficient
- Measure heat usage in a radiator and gather consumption data for modern 'Green' analysis
- Quantum dot blinking - a problem solved?
- Using Wi-Fi to power the IoT
- Disposable battery life extender enables batteries last 8x longer
- Samsung and LG: Reshaping the future for rechargeable mobile batteries
- Semisolid innovation trims lithium-ion battery costs by 50 percent
- Graphene ultracapacitor claims market’s highest energy density
- Newswatch: Can IKEA make renewable energy payoff?
- Electrolyte additives prevent fires in next-generation lithium batteries
- Powering Ethernet, Part 1: Designing for low power consumption in operation
- UK start-up gears up to capture UK home energy storage market
- Constant-voltage topology and intelligent dimming drives LEDs efficiently
- Battery Management System Tutorial
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems