Digital power solution offers system-level benefits compared with hybrid digital and analog alternatives
“As a pioneer in the manufacture of motherboards and graphics cards, we embraced the leading-edge true digital power solution offered by IR. We were able to implement an extremely high performance overclocking feature set using IR’s unique range of technologies. As a result, IR’s easily implementable, highly efficient and effective system-level solution was exceptionally well suited to our all digital 3D Power X79 Series of motherboards,” said Henry Gao, Vice President of the GIGABYTE Motherboard Business Unit.
Deepak Savadatti, Vice President and General Manager, IR’s Enterprise Power Business Unit, explained: “We engineered enormous flexibility and superior voltage regulation into our controllers, allowing GIGABYTE and their customers to overclock these newest complex processors and DDR memory to levels that were not possible with analog or hybrid digital control.”
Featuring Dynamic Phase Control (DPC) and Variable Gate Drive (VGD) technology, IR’s true digital solution enables more efficient delivery of power to the processor over the entire load range to enhance system performance and end-user experience. IR’s CHiL digital controller eliminates many external components necessary using hybrid digital or analog controller solutions to offer a small, high density solution that allows incremental space on the motherboard to add extra system-level features.
The IR digital platform features a non-linear control architecture (adaptive transient algorithm, ATA) to allow best dynamic response with reduced output capacitor count to keep up with the demanding and highly variable workloads of the processor. Its true digital engine allows superior on-the-fly performance optimization across the full operating range and even above the range of the processor without the need to modify hardware, while maintaining fully stable operation. The solution also provides a full suite of telemetry via built-in I2C digital interface to offer real-time monitoring of voltage, current, temperature and power to fully optimize and maximize power delivery to the processor.
IR’s end-to-end DC-DC solutions offer an opportunity to optimize performance, power density, solution cost and time-to-market for customers. IR’s CHiL true digital controllers may be paired with high performance, high density integrated PowIRstage devices or discrete MOSFETs and drivers to meet end-customers power management requirements.
Visit International Rectifier at www.irf.com
- Auto-ranging adds flexibility to programmable DC power supplies
- A new measure for wireless power transfer to support highly efficient links
- SMIC to report Tunnel-FET extension to CMOS
- Can candle soot help power Electric Vehicles?
- Solar bypass semiconductor device protects PV from lighting
- Integrated 7.8 mΩ power switch handles 9A, with reverse-blocking
- Tektronix/Keithley adds high-current/power bench PSU variants
- Bulk capacitance on high-current PCB rails safely controlled with 30V MOSFET
- LLC controller claims best-in-class efficiency for isolated DC-DC converters
- USB power supply is designed for automotive environments
- Low-power battery management for wearables/IoT
- Six-supply sequencer with NV configuration & fault logging
- Fastest 600-V gate driver steps up power density
- Online power supply configurator supplants custom solutions
- Keeping robots on the move - smartening up solar harvesting
- Will DIY spray-on solar cells be a reality soon?
- Porsche reveals prototype battery-driven sports car
- Transparent coating cools solar cells while boosting efficiency
- More-than-Moore will lead, argues GloFo's Wijburg
- Elon Musk targets high-volume solar panel dominance
- Dialog to acquire Atmel for USD4.6bn in IoT push
- Super-battery charges mobile devices in 15 seconds or less
- Hybrid solar panel roof helps slash energy bills
- Are mushrooms the answer to lithium-ion battery degradation?
- World efficiency record claimed for both sides-contacted solar cells
- DC-DC Conversion Handbook on GaN
- Heat helps rechargeable batteries extend lifetimes
- Report: Cypress preps bid to snatch Atmel from Dialog
- Next-Generation batteries - Can all-silicon anodes be commercially viable?
- Can electron superhighway drives organic solar panel innovations?
- Determine Balancing Current for the LTC3305 Lead-Acid Battery Balancer
- Testing PSRR with High-Frequency Ripple
- Why Making the Move from a Variable Transformer to a VariPLUS is the Right Decision
- A SEPIC Fed Buck Converter
- Minimizing the Impact of Source Resistance on High-Voltage DC to DC Converters
- Dual Phase Buck Controller Drives High Density 1.2V/60A Supply with Submilliohm DCR Sensing
- Battery Management System Tutorial