Flexible glass enables development of thinner displays and lighting objects
Corning Willow Glass will enable thin, light and cost-efficient applications including today's slim displays and the smart surfaces of the future. The thinness, strength, and flexibility of the glass has the potential to enable displays to be wrapped around a device or structure. As well, the material can be processed at temperatures up to 500 C. High temperature processing capability is essential for today's high-end displays, and is a processing condition that cannot be supported with polymer films. Corning Willow Glass will enable the industry to pursue high-temperature, continuous roll-to-roll processes similar to how newsprint is produced that have been impossible until now.
It will enable the design of thinner backplanes and color filters for both organic light emitting diodes (OLED) and liquid crystal displays (LCD) in high-performance, portable devices such as smartphones, tablets, and notebook computers. This flexible glass will also help develop conformable (curved) displays for immersive viewing or mounting on non-flat surfaces.
Corning Willow Glass is formulated to perform exceptionally well for electronic components such as touch sensors, as well as leveraging glass's natural hermetic properties as a seal for OLED displays and other moisture and oxygen-sensitive technologies.
Displays become more pervasive each day and manufacturers strive to make both portable devices and larger displays thinner. Corning Willow Glass provides the substrate performance to maintain device quality in a thin and light form factor, said Dipak Chowdhury, division vice president and Willow Glass program director. Currently manufacturing in a sheet-to-sheet process, we expect Corning Willow Glass to eventually allow customers to switch to high-throughput, efficient roll-to-roll processing, a long-awaited industry milestone.
- BIPV glass to crack USD2.7bn barrier in 2019
- Tungsten diselenide promises flexible ultrathin semi-transparent solar cells
- Smartphone displays to benefit from Bendable glass
- Israeli research points way to improved performance for composite-based electronics
- Heliatek and AGC Glass Europe sign for the integration of organic solar films into construction glass
- Imec's programmes for 3D IC semiconductor packaging boosted by presence of Dow Corning
- 6.5 million euros European project AMBASSADOR aims for eco-friendly districts
- Printed, flexible and organic electronics will enjoy a solid growth over the next decade says IDTechEx
- 1-A single-phase bridge rectifiers feature reverse voltages to 1000-V in MBLS package for smartphone chargers
- Fully flexible design platform helps OEMs validate new energy harvesting cell concepts
- Spatial atomic conformal layer deposition targets flexible electronics
- Flexible battery-connector solution with cable connection
- Integrating CMOS devices into flexible substrates for medical implants
- Method could pave way for lower cost, more flexible devices
- Heliatek opens production facility for the manufacture of organic solar films
- Fly-buck adds well-regulated isolated outputs to a buck without optocouplers
- Tesla car battery fires caused by road debris damage
- Should the solar cell be pensioned off?
- III-V solar cells on graphene break efficiency record
- Quantum dot solar concentrator opens energy harvesting window
- Panasonic cracks solar cell 25 percent conversion efficiency barrier
- Slideshow: Focusing on power trends at APEC 2014
- Simple PS voltage splitters based on audio amplifiers - Part 3
- Perovskite-based solar cell breakthrough offers 24-hour benefits
- Global regulations on external power supplies and their implications
- Four-quadrant DC/DC switching regulator smoothly transitions from positive to negative output voltages for FPGA
- Solar cell efficiency - Is it all in the mix?
- Photoswitching material harnesses solar power for heat storage
- LED-based solar lamp offers developing countries safer future
- Porous silicon generates hydrogen from sunlight
- Integrated Analog and Digital Power Supply for Remote Sensors
- USB 5V 2.5A Output, 42V Input Synchronous Buck with Cable Drop Compensation
- Supplying DC input power to string inverters
- Optimise Thermal Management of ChiP Products
- ON Semiconductor Hybrid Power Solutions
- High Efficiency, 150V 100mA Synchronous Step-Down Regulator
- High-voltage DC distribution is key to increased system efficiency and renewable-energy opportunities