Global electric car production forecast to top 16 million in 2021
The report entitled ‘Opportunities for System and Semiconductor Manufacturers in Hybrid and Battery Electric Vehicles’ estimates that less than one million hybrid electric vehicles were produced in 2010 and this equates to only around two percent of all vehicle production worldwide. Less than 16,000 battery electric vehicles and 2,000 plug-in hybrids and were produced in 2010.
“Japanese vehicle manufacturers initially dominated production of electric vehicles and used either their own existing suppliers or used systems from suppliers they part-own – their Keiretsu partners,“ said principal analyst, Jon Cropley. “These barriers to market entry are disappearing as vehicle manufacturers from other regions ramp-up production and Japanese vehicle manufacturers look for competing suppliers.”
Today, growing demand for electric cars is creating new vehicle manufacturers such as Tesla Motors, Coda, Fisker, BYD, and Aptera, who are joining established household-name manufacturers like Toyota, Ford and General Motors in this high potential growth market. Equally, growing demand for electric cars is also providing would-be suppliers in other tiers of the supply chain with a once-in-a-generation opportunity to enter the automotive market.
Examples of companies entering the market include A123 Systems of the United States and LG Chem of South Korea which have agreements to supply lithium ion batteries for major electric vehicle programmes. They also include US companies AC Propulsion, Remy International and UQM Technologies which all offer traction motors. What is more, further down the supply chain, semiconductor companies from outside Japan are supplying devices for electric vehicle programmes. Examples include Infineon Technologies, Texas Instruments and STMicroelectronics.
“This massive forecasted growth in the global electric car market, driven by consumers‘ increasing demand for cheaper to run and greener vehicles, and supported by government policy around the world, is creating a sea-change in the automotive industry,“ Cropley added. “While many of the established car manufacturers and their suppliers are responding to this new demand, new players – both OEM and across the supply chain – are well poised to take advantage and gain meaningful market share.“
Visit IMS Research at imsresearch.com
- Polymer blend improves solar cell efficiency by 200 percent
- Can future solar fuel cells tap supersonic electrons?
- Avnet Abacus inks distribution deal with RRC
- STMicroelectronics unveils world’s first customizable wireless battery charger controller
- Electrochemical 'fingers' point to lithium-ion battery performance gains
- Can flow battery advance lower urban power costs?
- Battery analytics solution trims battery-related return costs
- Silicon nanofiber boosts battery range performance of EVs
- Germanium quantum dot advance promises high-efficiency solar cells
- Tesla reveals plans to target household energy-storage market
- Non-flammable lithium battery startup attracts funding
- DC switching relays designed for powertrains now in distribution
- BMZ to triple lithium-ion rechargeable battery production by 2020
- Toyota tests SiC technology in near-series designs
- Doherty PA reference design for small cell applications
- How to ground and power complex circuits
- Low EMI automotive power designs
- Envelope Tracking Modulator with quad power IC and FPGA control
- World’s first polychrome organic solar module is revealed
- High efficiency resonant mode implementation using digital control
- Simple analog ASIC solves difficult thermal analysis problems
- Ultra-low power system for wearable devices
- Power supply de-rating in practice
- IKEA and Samsung back Qi wireless charging advance
- LDO design techniques for small spaces
- A simple method for determining the optimal operating point of an LED
- Will energy-harvesting 3D printed trees charge your smartphone?
- Can 'baking powder' effect boost solar cell efficiencies?
- Solar plane passes new test ahead of planned world tour
- Plugging solar cell pinholes key to perovskite performance
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems
- Smartphone SoC Power Efficiency - DVFS Capacitor Switching