High-accuracy current measurement for electric vehicle battery packs
LEM's CAB transducer offers current measurement capability of up to ±400A, with unlimited overload capacity, and with excellent accuracy: Coulomb-counting error over the driving cycle is reduced to under 0.1%. It is galvanically-isolated and non-intrusive; no electrical connection to the power circuit is needed. This ensures safe operation and, in contrast to techniques that use a sensing resistor in the power feed, generates no waste heat or losses.
The CAB takes the form of a small panel-mounted module measuring just 71 x 52 x 21 mm, excluding mountings, that has an aperture through which the primary (battery feed to the vehicle motors) conductor passes. It operates from the vehicle's 12V power supply, and is rated for operation from -40 to +105 ºC. The CAB transducer transmits its data to the EV/HEV's control circuitry using the automotive-industry standard CAN bus; LEM can supply variants that deliver data via other bus and interface standards, on request.
In the CAB transducer, LEM chose to use its proven implementation of the fluxgate principle. Fluxgate transducers use an advanced magnetic current-measurement principle that inherently cancels or nulls many of the offset and drift errors that appear in simpler current-sensing techniques.
State-Of-Charge (SOC) is a critical measurement function in EVs and HEVs. During the driving cycle the battery is either driving the vehicle, or current flow is reversed in regenerative braking or charging, returning energy to the battery. In these transient conditions battery voltage does not give a good indication of SOC – each unit of charge (Coulombs) delivered by, and returned to, the battery has to be accurately tracked, which demands precise current measurement.
To ensure long battery life, EV and HEV batteries are typically never fully discharged, nor charged to the maximum, and are therefore over-sized compared to their nominal rating. Car makers must further increase this safety margin if they need to make allowance for inaccuracies in energy measurements. With the advent of the CAB transducer, vehicle designers can have complete confidence in SOC estimation, and can reduce the size and weight of the battery pack accordingly.
For more information visit www.lem.com
- 28VDC powered wireless access points targets in-cabin aircraft video streaming
- Murata and Beta LAYOUT offer PCB service with free embedded UHF RFID
- 250-mA wide VIN range buck-boost charge pump offers low conducted and radiated noise
- Ultra-low power 2.4 GHz multi-standard radio
- Low-power chip enables intra-cardiac ventricular fibrillation detection
- Avnet Abacus supports SILICA agreement with Philips Lumileds to deliver complete lighting solutions
- Power management for solid state drives
- New series of compact, power saving voltage transducers target traction market applications
- Third-generation SSL LED drivers feature Flickerless technology and digital dimming control
- Thermally-controlled AC and DC fans provide 30% power savings for LED cooling
- Touch screen technology goes behind the display
- Japan prepares to become world's largest solar revenue market in 2013
- Smart grid sensor market looks set to double in size by 2014
- Single-chip solar energy harvester operates wireless mesh nodes
- Bosch drives down fuel consumption - in a salami technique
- World's lowest power Bluetooth smart chip is unveiled
- Ceramic material drastically shrinks power supplies
- Lithium-ion batteries withstand 10.000 charging cycles
- Solar industry capital spending hits seven-year low in 2013 but upturn is on the cards
- 300 percent increase in battery life with low power Bluetooth wireless speaker module
- 60V Buck-Boost Controller Drives High Power LEDs
- Energy Measurement and Security for the Smart Grid
- Dangers of Aftermarket Counterfeit Battery Packs
- High Voltage Surge Stoppers Ensure Reliable Operation During Power Surges
- Motor-Drive Design made Simple
- Adaptive Cell Converter Topology Enables Constant Efficiency in PFC Applications
- Micropower Isolated Flyback Converter with Input Voltage Range from 6V to 100V
- Derating of Schottky Diodes
- Heatsink Optimization
- High Performance ZVS Buck Regulator Removes Barriers To Increased Power Throughput