High-power, surface-mount resistor is first 5 W Power Metal Strip device in compact 4527 package size
Like the WSR2 (2-W) and WSR3 (3-W), the new WSR5 measures just 0.455 in. by 0.275 in. [11.56 mm by 6.98 mm] with a height profile of 0.095 in. [2.41 mm], making it a compact 5-W solution for electronic controls in automotive systems, power supplies in communications base stations, and dc-to-dc converters and VRMs in high-end workstations and servers.
A proprietary processing technique allows the WSR5 to offer low resistance values ranging from 1 mΩ to 300 mΩ in a standard resistance tolerance of ±1 percent. A tolerance of ±0.5 percent is available for the resistance range of 10 mΩ to 300 mΩ. The WSR5's low inductance values range from 0.5 nH to 5 nH, and the device's temperature coefficients are ± 110 ppm/degrees C for the 7.5-mΩ to 9.9-mΩ range and ±75 ppm/degrees C for the 10-mΩ to 300-mΩ range.
The WSR5 resistor's proprietary construction features a molded, high-temperature encapsulation with an integrated heat sink for improved thermal management. As a result, the new device maintains the superior electrical characteristics of the Power Metal Strip construction during operation in a variety of high-current applications. Low thermal EMF, a broad operating temperature range of -65 to +275 degrees C, and resistance to moisture, vibration, thermal and mechanical shock ensure reliable operation. The WSR5's proprietary Power Metal Strip design features all-welded construction, solderable terminations, and a solid metal alloy resistive element.
The WSR5's high-power capability in a compact package enables designers to shift away from leaded resistors to a surface-mount solution, and thus to create smaller, lower-cost, and/or higher-performing end products. When used to replace through-hole current-sensing resistors, the WSR5 reduces manufacturing placement costs while allowing for total solder reflow assembly. Per-device costs also are further reduced by the elimination of secondary operations such as lead forming and trimming.
Provided in 24-mm tape-and-reel form, samples and production quantities of the WSR5 are available now, with a lead time of six to eight weeks for larger orders.
Datasheet for :WSR2 and WSR3
Datasheet for :WSR5
- Energy efficient 4-Gb DDR3 memory enters mass production
- Novel nickel-manganese-cobalt cathode technology gains patent clearance
- Tungsten diselenide promises flexible ultrathin semi-transparent solar cells
- Europe loses PV market lead to Asia in 2013
- 12V, 20A DOSA compatible quarter brick DCDC converter
- Future urban mobility: the autopilot takes over
- Paper-thin ultracapacitor aims to boost Li-ion battery performance
- GaN transistors promise more light for less energy
- PMA reveals advanced specifications for vehicle wireless charging
- Roll-up digital screens near reality for all
- 60-A digital POL dc-dc module sets performance benchmarks
- Micro smart grid plugs renewables into EV fleets
- Cree claims the most powerful SiC Schottky diodes
- Liquid crystal waveguides split optical fibre signal at MHz speed
- Are quantum dot solar cells commercially viable?
- Newswatch: Mediatek v Qualcomm – let the duelling commence
- Newswatch: Tesla sketches out roadmap for the future?
- Tesla targets battery innovation to reduce EV costs
- Simple PS voltage splitters based on audio amplifiers - Part 2
- What technologies to watch for in 2014? – Part 2
- Pomegranate inspires silicon anode breakthrough for lithium-ion batteries
- How to extend a power supply for droop compensation
- Power Tip 68: Pick the right turns ratio for a fly-buck converter
- Novel anode breakthrough allows fast charging of next-generation batteries
- Simple PS voltage splitters based on audio amplifiers
- Power line communication implementation for DC applications
- IBC solar cell achieves efficiency of 24.4 percent
- Measure small impedances with Rogowski current probes
- Fast or quick, just be better than slow
- Photovoltaic development deals targets 22.4 percent cell efficiencies
- ON Semiconductor Hybrid Power Solutions
- High Efficiency, 150V 100mA Synchronous Step-Down Regulator
- High-voltage DC distribution is key to increased system efficiency and renewable-energy opportunities
- Using Next Generation Power Firmware to Simplify Energy Star Compliant Designs
- 3mm Ã— 3mm QFN IC Directly Monitors 0V to 80V Supplies
- Adaptive Cell Converter Topology Enables Constant Efficiency in PFC Applications
- Ultra-compact and innovative - new Schaffner IEC inlet filter series