LED controller offers constant power regulation
Traditional drivers use constant current control to accurately regulate LED forward current. This approach produces consistent light output or intensity from LEDs in the same bin. However, once current is applied to the LED, its solder point temperature rises, leading to a decrease in forward voltage and a drop in efficacy. Conversely, by using the new LM3447 with constant power regulation, the LED forward voltage droop over temperature is offset by an increase in LED current to maintain constant LED power. The result is up to 10-percent improvement in efficacy across the expected operating temperature range of the fixture.
Key features and benefits of the LM3447 LED driver
- Integrated phase dimmer decoding and dimmer detection circuitry allows for easy design and highest efficiency.
- Operates with leading edge (TRIAC) and trailing edge dimmers.
- Primary side control supports isolated lighting designs without opto-couplers.
- Constant power LED load regulation improves efficacy of LED array by compensating for LED junction temperature changes.
- Fixed frequency discontinuous conduction mode flyback topology with valley switching simplifies EMI filter design.
- Greater than 0.9 power factor correction meets all regulatory requirements.
- Thermal fold-back protects LED array from over-temperature while still providing reduced light output.
- LED open- and short-circuit protection and driver IC thermal shutdown protect lamp electronics from damage during fault conditions.
The LM3447 joins TI's portfolio of off-line LED lighting controllers that include the National LM3445, the industry's first phase-dimmable LED driver with constant current control, and the TPS92310 primary side regulator for non-dimming applications.
The LM3447 is available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors. Offered in a 14-pin TSSOP package, the suggested retail price is $1.15 in 1,000-unit quantities.
- Nujira surpasses own world record for ET PA linearity
- PCIe clock generators offer the smallest footprint and lowest power
- 60-V integrated power modules extends power capability of low load-impedance Class D audio systems
- Expanded ecosystem of ultra-low power MCUs speeds capacitive touch design development
- PFC IC enables compact designs for consumer products and PCs
- Radiation hardened DC-DC power conversion devices support space power systems
- 650-V n-channel power MOSFET series adds 23 new high power density devices
- LED power supply suits hand-held devices
- Integrated PFC IC for compact consumer products
- 420-W quarter brick DC-DC converters are PMBus compliant
- Volvo evaluates flywheel hybrid drive - fuel savings of up to 25%
- PV storage market is set to grow to USD19bn by 2017
- Ultra-low-power SoC supports world's smallest Bluetooth location stickers
- Power-One enters into patent license agreement with Microchip
- Quad-MOSFET solution boosts efficiency and eliminates heat sinking in active bridge applications
- Solar industry capital spending hits seven-year low in 2013 but upturn is on the cards
- Market for GaN and SiC power semiconductors set to rise by factor of 18 in next decade
- Imec and Renesas collaborate on ultra-low power short range radios
- Advanced microcontroller combines floating point and low leakage technology to achieve longest battery lifetime in portable applications
- World's lowest power Bluetooth smart chip is unveiled
- Dangers of Aftermarket Counterfeit Battery Packs
- High Voltage Surge Stoppers Ensure Reliable Operation During Power Surges
- Motor-Drive Design made Simple
- Adaptive Cell Converter Topology Enables Constant Efficiency in PFC Applications
- Micropower Isolated Flyback Converter with Input Voltage Range from 6V to 100V
- Derating of Schottky Diodes
- Heatsink Optimization
- High Performance ZVS Buck Regulator Removes Barriers To Increased Power Throughput
- Waste heat replaces batteries
- Stepper Motor Control IC