Linear Technology and Energy Micro demonstrate smart energy harvesting solution
Based on Energy Micro's low cost starter development kit, the demonstration relies on Linear Technology's LTC3588 piezoelectric energy harvesting power supply and Energy Micro's ARM Cortex-M3 enabled EFM32 Gecko microcontroller to create a wireless sensor node acquiring data from a 3-axis accelerometer and transmitting it over a Zigbee RF transceiver.
The energy harvested from a piezoelectric transducer is stored on a capacitor bank for later consumption by the accelerometer and radio according to the MCU's optimized sequencing software. The EFM32 Gecko spends the majority of its time in sleep mode until woken by the LTC3588's 'power good' signal. The MCU monitors energy levels at all times to ensure total circuit consumption stays below harvested energy levels.
"Using sustainable kinetic, photovoltaic and thermal energy sources to power microcontrollers requires energy harvesting power supplies capable of both very high efficiency conversion and very low quiescent power loss, " said Don Paulus, Vice President & General Manager of Power Products at Linear Technology. "At the same time, microcontrollers have to play their part, offering very low power operating modes and the application software flexibility to make the best use of the harvested energy - the EFM32 Gecko MCU provides such attributes."
Øyvind Janbu, CTO, Energy Micro said, "Linear Technology's ultralow power energy harvesting power supplies match perfectly well with the needs of the EFM32's energy modes. This demonstration illustrates the tremendous opportunities open to designers of smarter energy harvesting products. There is no penalty for using 32-bit microcontrollers in such applications, the component technology already exists and it's available off-the-shelf."
Further information on the energy harvesting solution from Linear Technology and Energy Micro can be found at www.energymicro.com/energyharvesting
- Power-over-Ethernet meets LED lighting: Application note
- European Space Agency to send ultracapacitors into orbit
- NXP adds mesh capability to Bluetooth Smart offering
- Power multiplexer ICs for mobile devices
- UPS remote monitoring system IoT technology platform
- Disposable sensor patch analyses golfers' swing
- IKEA embeds wireless power transmitters in furniture and lamps
- Cadence/Tensilica shapes DSP IP for low-energy SoC implementations
- 1W DC-DC converters boost isolation levels
- Pseudoparticle discovery spotlights energy conversion processes for photovoltaics
- High-integration power management ICs targets portable computing devices
- Newswatch: ARM seeks energy harvesting edge in IoT push
- GPTG agrees global distribution deal with Digi-Key
- Imagination tunes IP for low-power, integrated-wireless IoT connectivity ICs
- 10W charger design for smart mobile devices meets latest specs
- Bias power made easy
- Revealed - The real impact of battery bounce testing
- Will energy-saving lightbulb become graphene's first commercial success?
- How to get higher efficiency at lower loads: A new LLC platform makes it possible
- Polymer discovery paves way for low-cost ultrafast batteries
- Has Google entered the battle for next-generation batteries?
- Medical devices: Where wireless charging has real impact
- WPT breaks all connections, Part 3
- Quick-charging hybrid supercapacitor trumps thin-film lithium battery
- Can fast-charging aluminum-ion battery dampen safety fears?
- Power grids - How many EVs can be charged simultaneoulsy?
- Will metal-free catalyst lower rechargeable zinc-air battery costs?
- Power management design for single-cell battery system
- How can iron fluoride triple energy storage in batteries?
- Can magnesium ions finally break the lithium battery stranglehold?
- Battery Management System Tutorial
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems