Microcontroller portfolio claims industry's first programmable metrology devices for low-cost AFE solutions
The microcontrollers enable system partitioning in metering applications, such as electricity meters, home automation, sub-metering and energy saving systems, which allows flexible, stand-alone, high-quality measurement. The MSP430AFE series is based on a 16-bit RISC architecture with a system frequency of 12 MHz, offering 3X the system speed over competing parts to drive increased functionality. The microcontroller achieves less than 0.1 percent error in energy accuracy over a wide dynamic range of 2400:1, enabled by three independent 24-bit sigma-delta converters supporting anti-tamper.
The MSP430AFE2xx series is also supported by multiple tools, demos and EVMs to provide several options for developers to begin evaluation and move quickly to production. Allowing users to manage energy usage and begin saving money, the RF-capable MSP430 Energy Watchdog demo displays the electricity consumption of any plug-in appliance on an LCD display. The programmable MSP430AFE EVM can be used to test the new MSP430AFE2xx as a calibrated electricity meter. Additionally, the MSP-TS430PW24 target board and MSP-FET430U24 flash emulation tool can be used to program and debug the MSP430AFE devices.
Availability and Pricing
The MSP430AFE2xx microcontrollers are priced from $0.80 for 1K units and are immediately available. The MSP-TS430PW24 stand alone target board is priced at $75. The MSP-FET430U24 flash emulation tool including software and target board is priced at $149. The MSP430 Energy Watchdog demo and MSP430AFE EVM are available in limited quantities.
More information about TI's MSP430AFE Series at
MSP430AFE video overview: www.ti.com/430afe-pr-v
- 20/30A PMBus converters lower EMI, support adaptive voltage scaling
- TI adds advanced WEBENCH tools for expert power-supply designers
- Power amplifiers cover 2-50 GHz to simplify instrumentation applications
- Half-bridge gate driver for hybrid vehicle power systems
- Toshiba tunes tech for the IoT
- Precision power analyzer claims world's highest power measurement accuracy
- 3-channel, fully-integrated ultralow power regulator/switch
- TI unveils industry’s lowest power wideband RF synthesizer
- Multicore SHARC+ARM SOC achieves 5x power efficiency performance
- Brazil startup offers PMIC for solar energy harvesting
- Digital power chipset optimises dead time automatically
- 4-ch, 24-GHz downconverter for multichannel, beamforming receivers
- Digital isolator technology in IGBT gate drivers yields performance & lifetime
- AC-DC front-end modules offer high power density benefits
- Ambiq Micro signs global distribution deal with Future Electronics
- Boeing issues fire hazard warning from lithium battery bulk shipments
- Power grid pilot highlights Europe's battery storage failings
- Smart meters can destabilize grid, study says
- Can your phone batteries keep you secret on the internet?
- Solar cell splits water to make fuel
- Solar powered flight smashes long distance records
- IBM slashes next-gen power
- Battery overheating stalls solar plane record attempt
- World first: Samsung monitor integrates inbuilt wireless charging
- Perovskite solar cells - can production costs be lowered?
- Electric double-decker buses lead London's zero emission drive
- Powering wearables: Are niobium nanowire supercapacitors the answer?
- Li-ion battery to power search for life on Mars
- Butterflies help boost solar panel power by 50 per cent
- Graphene nanoribbon could deliver power control for ships to smartphones
- Dual Phase Buck Controller Drives High Density 1.2V/60A Supply with Submilliohm DCR Sensing
- Battery Management System Tutorial
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide