New controller-only buck LED driver claims best-in-class efficiency with cost-effective solution
Designed for use with an external power switch, the SSL2109 LED driver IC provides a single design platform for 100 V, 120 V and 230 V mains input voltages and power ranges up to 25 W.
By offering a controller-only version of the SSL2108x family, the SSL2109 provides LED retrofit lamp and driver module manufacturers with the flexibility to optimize external MOSFET selection based on cost, performance and heat dissipation, also across different power levels. Based on GreenChip technology, the SSL2109 offers best-in-class efficiency up to 95%; a high level of integration, with only 15 components required for a full application; a small PCB area enabling compact designs; and a very low electronic bill of materials (BoM).
The SSL2109 is a controller-only version of the SSL2108x family of LED driver ICs and offers a high integration level, with 15 components required on the PCB. The small PCB area measures 18 x 22 mm in reference designs. The device delivers high efficiency up to 95% and exhibits tight LED current regulation, better than 5%. The device makes direct PWM dimming possible and features a complete set of built-in protections, including LED temperature protection via an NTC temperature sensor.
The SSL2109 controller-only buck LED driver is available immediately.
In addition, NXP will release two additional members of the SSL2108x family – the SSL2108xA and SSL2109A – at the end of June 2012. The SSL2108xA and SSL2109A remove the short winding protection feature.
More information about the SSL2109 LED driver IC at
- TSMC pulls plug on solar business
- 40/60V FETs for cordless appliances add logic-level drive by MCU
- Full-bridge gate driver chips targets starter generator applications
- Ultralow power buck regulator cuts losses in wearables, IoT
- Stadium Group acquires Stontronics to strengthen growth plans
- Dual step-down DC/DC controller update adds PWM signals
- 20/30A PMBus converters lower EMI, support adaptive voltage scaling
- Synchronous rectifier controller maximises efficiency across load profiles
- 3A, synchronous buck regulator accepts 4-36V
- 35VIN & VOUT battery charge controller delivers up to 20A
- Photo battery shines light on safer power
- Half-bridge gate driver for hybrid vehicle power systems
- Dielectric material helps keep LED packages much cooler
- DC output drive modules for reactive loads offer reverse energy protection
- 700V HVIC MOSFET drivers improve reliability, cut footprint
- Can your phone batteries keep you secret on the internet?
- Tesla reveals snakebot electric car charger
- Can hydrogen charge your iPhone for a week?
- Gaming computers: How easy is it to plug the energy blackhole?
- Samsung partners MIT to create longer-lasting solid-state rechargeable batteries
- UK Government to trial charge-as-you-drive 'electric motorways'
- 'Aqueous solar flow' battery 20 percent more efficient than lithium-iodine batteries
- Could nanowire artificial photosynthesis put an end to fracking?
- CEO interview: Ambiq sees broader options for low voltage
- Another fusion reactor breakthrough
- Fraunhofer develops cost-effective wireless charging system
- Simplified organic solar cells boost efficiency while lowering costs
- World's smallest emergency phone charger makes Kickstarter debut
- Smarter, lighter car battery replaces lead acid types
- Micro rake doubles efficiency of inexpensive solar cells
- Testing PSRR with High-Frequency Ripple
- Why Making the Move from a Variable Transformer to a VariPLUS is the Right Decision
- A SEPIC Fed Buck Converter
- Minimizing the Impact of Source Resistance on High-Voltage DC to DC Converters
- Dual Phase Buck Controller Drives High Density 1.2V/60A Supply with Submilliohm DCR Sensing
- Battery Management System Tutorial
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own