New DrMOS device family offers 94 percent efficiency in 6-mm x 6-mm form factor
Generation II XS DrMOS devices, available in a small, 6 mm x 6 mm high performance clip PQFN package, feature higher system efficiency with over 91.5 percent heavy load efficiency at 12 Vin, 1 Vout, and 25 A, and 94 percent peak efficiency. Generation II XS DrMOS can be operated at a 2 MHz switching frequency and have up to 50 A of current handling capability.
Leveraging the company’s expertise in MOSFETs, gate driver ICs, and packaging technology, Fairchild optimized Generation II XS DrMOS devices for greater efficiency and developed new features. These enhancements make the Generation II XS DrMOS family ideal for applications such as blade servers, high performance gaming motherboards, high performance notebooks, graphic cards, and high current DC-DC point-of-load (POL) converters.
Devices in the portfolio offer a 5 V and 3.3 V Tristate level to match the Intel 4.0 DrMOS specification and are compatible with a variety of PWM controllers on the market. The Generation II XS DrMOS portfolio reduces ringing due to PowerTrench MOSFET Shielded Gate technology in both the control FET and synchronous FET. The synchronous FET also integrates a Schottky diode which eliminates external snubber circuits, improving overall performance and power density while reducing space and cost. Generation II XS DrMOS devices also include a thermal warning feature for customers to prevent over temperature conditions during fault situations.
The Generation II XS DrMOS portfolio is able to meet different customer and application needs.
Fairchild Semiconductor’s Generation II XS DrMOS series provides industry-leading technology to meet the energy efficiency and form factor challenges encountered in today’s designs. Generation II XS DrMOS devices are part of Fairchild’s energy efficient power analog, power discrete and optoelectronics solutions that maximize energy savings in power sensitive applications.
Availability and Pricing
Samples of the devices are available now. The FDMF6705 is priced at $2.86 in 1,000 quantity pieces.
The FDMF6705V is priced at $2.92 in 1,000 quantity pieces. The FDMF6706C is priced at $3.30 in 1,000 quantity pieces. The FDMC6707B is priced at $3.96 in 1,000 quantity pieces.
More information about the family of Generation II XS DrMOS devices at:
- 'New class' of 650V IGBTs cuts switching losses over 50 Hz to 20 kHz
- Power MOSFET drivers in smaller, thermally efficient packages
- Low on-resistance 2A load switches for consumer applications
- Global rack PDU market set for 5.6 percent growth in 2015
- Lead-acid battery-balancing IC handles 4 x 12V batteries
- GaN Systems agrees distribution deal with Ecomal Europe
- Algorithm indicates the electricity consumption of individual appliances
- MOSFET H-bridge reduces footprint by 50 percent
- 1.7-GHz ARM Cortex-A7 draws only 200-mW of dynamic power
- AEG clinches on-board battery charger order for German railway
- 25-V and 30-V N-channel power MOSFETs offer lowest Rdson in a QFN package
- Dual 3-A/single 6-A step-down power module is industry's smallest
- High linearity 4-W Ka-band power amplifier
- 60 to 250Amps direct from busbars to circuit boards
- Push button reboot controller draws 0.01μA in standby
- First round-the-world solar plane flight prepares for take-off
- Are next generation EV batteries a step closer?
- Are power management researchers really 21st century alchemists?
- GaN: The dawn of a new era?
- Overcoming patient leakage current issues
- Long life aluminium-air battery resolves rechargeable challenges
- Solar-powered radio chip monitors windows to save energy
- How to measure capacity versus bias voltage on MLCCs
- Conquering the 'kink' in sub-threshold power MOSFET behavior: A simple compact modeling approach
- Bamboo bike uses peddle power to recharge smartphones
- Hybrid fuel cell advance boosts power by 20 percent
- Apple Watch spurs wireless charging growth in 2015
- LED buck regulator with current-mode control simplifies compensation
- Product How-to: Ultra-low noise linear regulators for powering PLL/VCO and clocking ICs
- Improved dendrite formation control helps lithium batteries last longer
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems
- Smartphone SoC Power Efficiency - DVFS Capacitor Switching
- Power Modules: The New Super Power
- Digital Power Management Reduces Energy Costs While Improving System Performance