New IGBT modules support smaller, more efficient power converters in wind power-generation and PV systems
The modules, which are for use in power converters, mainly those in large-capacity photovoltaic (PV) and wind power-generation systems, also are suitable for high-power applications in large-capacity inverters and uninterruptible power supply (UPS) systems for industrial equipment.
The modules will be showcased at PCIM Europe 2012 in Nuremberg, Germany from May 8-10, 2012.
Power generation systems are increasingly shifting to natural energy sources, such as wind and solar power, as part of efforts to limit carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions attributed to global warming. The sixth-generation MPD Series responds to the growing need for robust power-conversion equipment in newer, large-scale megawatt-class systems.
The new modules enable smaller, more efficient power-conversion equipment with the new modules’ sixth-generation carrier-stored trench-gate bipolar transistor (CSTBT) reducing collector-emitter saturation voltage by approximately 15 percent compared to fifth-generation IGBT modules (CM900DUC-24NF, CM1400DUC-24NF and CM1000DUC-34NF).
The devices feature a gate capacitance reduced by 30–50 percent and a maximum junction temperature raised by 25 to 175°C.
The isolation voltage of new IGBT models isolation voltage is raised by 14–60 percent to 4,000 V compared to the earlier fifth-generation models. The Sixth-generation MPD Series is RoHS compliant.
The Mega Power Dual (MPD) Series will begin shipping from May 31, 2012
Visit Mitsubishi Electric at www.MitsubishiElectric.com
- Power multiplexer ICs for mobile devices
- UPS remote monitoring system IoT technology platform
- IKEA embeds wireless power transmitters in furniture and lamps
- Cadence/Tensilica shapes DSP IP for low-energy SoC implementations
- 1W DC-DC converters boost isolation levels
- High-integration power management ICs targets portable computing devices
- Can magnesium ions finally break the lithium battery stranglehold?
- GPTG agrees global distribution deal with Digi-Key
- 10W charger design for smart mobile devices meets latest specs
- High efficiency DMOS FET arrays cut power losses
- The ultimate 'Selfie' solution: A self-powered video camera
- 200W, 98%, buck-boost regulators in 10x14mm module format
- Harvesting energy from electromagnetic waves
- Europe’s first commercial Li-ion ESS deployment supports Faroe wind farm
- Battery-backed power supplies maintain up to 115W
- Bias power made easy
- Revealed - The real impact of battery bounce testing
- Will energy-saving lightbulb become graphene's first commercial success?
- Polymer discovery paves way for low-cost ultrafast batteries
- Has Google entered the battle for next-generation batteries?
- How to get higher efficiency at lower loads: A new LLC platform makes it possible
- Medical devices: Where wireless charging has real impact
- WPT breaks all connections, Part 3
- Quick-charging hybrid supercapacitor trumps thin-film lithium battery
- Can fast-charging aluminum-ion battery dampen safety fears?
- Power grids - How many EVs can be charged simultaneoulsy?
- Will metal-free catalyst lower rechargeable zinc-air battery costs?
- Power management design for single-cell battery system
- How can iron fluoride triple energy storage in batteries?
- MIT pinpoints promising pathways for solar photovoltaic power
- Battery Management System Tutorial
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems