Powerline communications body issues smart grid requirements
The documents are intended to foster interoperability and international regulatory approval. They focus on in-home applications and those that tie into the Smart Grid such as HVAC, security, lighting and energy management applications among others.
Paul Bertrand, Chairman of UPA's C&C Working Group stated that, "UPA shall develop a single technical specification and certification process based on the UPA MRD. We are paying special attention to energy consumption requirements. New regulations in Europe and the US require low power devices and place restrictions on standby power and the MRD has arrived on time to take full account of these requirements in the development of a specification for environmentally friendly command and control devices."
The UPA Smart Grid MRD provides a baseline to clarify the multiple economic, commercial, legislative and environmental requirements against which UPA members develop products and services. Smart Grids must help utilities to intelligently integrate the actions of all components and users connected to the grid. This holistic infrastructure defines the UPA Smart Grid from generation, transmission & distribution to advanced metering. The considerations include reliability requirements in a range of operating environments.
Chris Graham-Fielding, Chairman of the UPA Smart Grid Working Group stated, "To a utility, a smart grid is a commercial imperative as well as a technological implementation. Utilities are faced with complying with a range of environmental targets. These include for example; an 8 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels by 2008-2012 (Kyoto) or increasing the share of electricity from renewable energy systems to 21 percent of gross electricity consumption by 2010, and reducing energy intensity by a further 1 percent per year until 2010."
- Small footprint inductors carry high current capacity
- New electrolyte promises cheaper high efficiency magnesium-sulfur batteries
- Proton-conducting graphene membranes enhances fuel cell performance
- Industry embraces 48V supply in the aim of bringing down emissions
- 60V, synchronous buck-boost controller regulates up to 250W
- Single-channel gate driver provides on-chip galvanic isolation
- Miniature connector crams 4 power and 20 signal contacts
- New class of layered materials drive PV innovations
- How does a Blu-ray disc improve solar cell performance?
- 1200V IGBTs raise efficiency and ruggedness for solar and industrial power
- Compact silicon carbide hybrid power modules at 3300V and 1500A
- Global photovoltaic module installed capacity to treble by 2020
- CEO interview: Vicor powers after higher volume applications
- 120A from a TO-247 package; Infineon’s TO-247PLUS for IGBTs
- Programmable load switch improves system power reliability
- Understanding isolated DC/DC converter voltage regulation
- Demystifying ultra-low-power benchmarks for microcontrollers
- Semiconducting polymers discovery claims record solar cell efficiency
- USB battery charging rev. 1.2: Important role of charger detectors
- Supercapacitor innovation promises panel-powered cars in five years
- Power supply for mobile devices
- 3D prints world's best inverter
- BMW and Tesla look at car battery alliance
- Can Fool's gold reduce the cost of solar cells?
- Triac triggering compliance: The basics of positive and negative supplies
- Battery coating innovation helps prevent swallowing injuries
- Vicor extends “component power” concepts with VIA package
- Advanced lead-carbon batteries could enable 48V super hybrid vehicles
- Could magnesium battery innovation end lithium's dominance?
- Solar-friendly silicon lights up PV device development
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems
- Smartphone SoC Power Efficiency - DVFS Capacitor Switching
- Power Modules: The New Super Power
- Digital Power Management Reduces Energy Costs While Improving System Performance
- How to Charge Supercapacitor Banks for Energy Storage