SiC Schottky barrier diodes claim the industry's lowest
ROHM has developed second-generation SiC (Silicon Carbide) Schottky barrier diodes ideal for power supply circuits in PV (photovoltaic) power conditioners, industrial equipment, servers, air conditioners, and more.
The new series features the industry's lowest forward voltage (VF=1.35V＊) – 10% less than conventional products – reducing power consumption considerably.
In recent years SiC has emerged as the successor to silicon for use as a semiconductor material in next-generation devices, particularly in the power electronics sector (i.e. industrial equipment, solar cells, electric vehicles, railways), due to its lower power conversion losses and superior material properties. ROHM has launched mass production of SiC SBDs and MOSFETs in 2010, followed by the industry's first mass production of 'Full SiC' power modules in March 2012. However, although SiC SBDs are now commonly mass-produced on a global scale, their forward voltage remains at around 1.5 V, hindering energy conservation efforts. Further reductions in VF are required to minimize power dissipation.
Reducing the forward voltage, however, normally results in an increase in reverse leak current. ROHM overcame this challenge through device optimization and improved manufacturing processes, successfully reducing VF while maintaining low leakage current. In addition, this new series features particularly low forward rise voltage compared with competitor products for improved efficiency during low-load states – where it is commonly used.
Samples are available.
Visit ROHM Semiconductor Europe at www.rohm.com/eu
- Intelligent power modules offer enhanced system reliability performance
- High linearity power amplifiers boost cellular base station effectiveness
- Power current sensing resistors have a TCR of ±0.2 ppm/°C
- Medical power supplies simplify compliance for medical device designs
- Non-dimmable LED driver fits into bulb socket
- Active surge protection filter module complies with DEF STAN 61-5 issue 6 load dump requirement
- Family of nine op amps provide low quiescent current to extend battery life
- Dual module capability boosts IGBT power semiconductors to 90-kW
- 40-V, 2-A buck-boost DC/DC converter fits in 20-lead thermally enhanced TSSOP package
- High capacity industrial battery offers discharge performance benefits
- Touch screen technology goes behind the display
- Japan prepares to become world's largest solar revenue market in 2013
- Smart grid sensor market looks set to double in size by 2014
- Single-chip solar energy harvester operates wireless mesh nodes
- Bosch drives down fuel consumption - in a salami technique
- World's lowest power Bluetooth smart chip is unveiled
- Ceramic material drastically shrinks power supplies
- Lithium-ion batteries withstand 10.000 charging cycles
- Solar industry capital spending hits seven-year low in 2013 but upturn is on the cards
- 300 percent increase in battery life with low power Bluetooth wireless speaker module
- 60V Buck-Boost Controller Drives High Power LEDs
- Energy Measurement and Security for the Smart Grid
- Dangers of Aftermarket Counterfeit Battery Packs
- High Voltage Surge Stoppers Ensure Reliable Operation During Power Surges
- Motor-Drive Design made Simple
- Adaptive Cell Converter Topology Enables Constant Efficiency in PFC Applications
- Micropower Isolated Flyback Converter with Input Voltage Range from 6V to 100V
- Derating of Schottky Diodes
- Heatsink Optimization
- High Performance ZVS Buck Regulator Removes Barriers To Increased Power Throughput