Smartphone LCD backlight LED drivers offer industry's highest efficiency and smallest PCB area
The AS3674 backlight driver family complements austriamicrosystems' portfolio of lighting management units which address backlight, smart light and ALS (ambient light sensing) processing inside a single IC. The AS3674 is a highly efficient 2 MHz DC-DC switch mode step-up converter controlling 5 current sources with each driving 2 LEDs in series. For added flexibility, the current for the LED channels can be set by an external resistor with a maximum of 25 mA per channel. The AS3490 incorporates the same functionality as the AS3674 but addresses only three LED channels.
A soft startup feature allows the AS3674 to be integrated into noise sensitive RF systems. The AS3674 is controlled by two enable inputs which can also serve as PWM inputs between 100 Hz and 800 Hz with 1:2000 dimming ratio. The 2 LED per channel configuration combined with the 2 MHz operating frequency of the converter allow the use of tiny external components such as a 4.7 µH coil and results in very high efficiency, up to 6% higher than the closest competitor.
The AS3674 operates from a 2.5 to 5.5 V power supply and includes a number of safety features such as under-voltage lockout, overcurrent and over-temperature protection and LED testing. Both the AS3674 and AS3490 are housed in space saving 12-ball WL-CSP package (1.7 x 1.4 x 0.5 mm, 0.4 mm pitch).
Image1: AS3674 block diagram
For more information on the AS3674 and AS3490 please visit
http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/LED-driver/AS3674 and http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/LED-driver/AS3490
- Isolated gate driver operates at up to 225°C
- Software simulation of ST power devices, by free download tool
- Roll-to-roll printing of organic solar cells and LEDs
- LED lighting controller boosts PFC, efficiency specifications for 20-150W
- Mouser signs global distribution deal with CUI
- MOSFET family delivers lowest on-resistance and output capacitance
- Durable 480-V passive power supply focuses on high-voltage applications
- Switch to LED lighting cuts cruising energy costs by 60 percent
- Multi-channel load sink driver consumes 12x less power
- High-voltage resonant controller with PFC for LED drivers
- LED power supply market to triple in next five years
- Will energy-harvesting 3D printed trees charge your smartphone?
- Microsemi collaborates with STMicroelectronics to develop EV car charger
- ROHM extends Rutronik’s franchise to a global agreement
- Smart window tints and acts as transparent battery
- High efficiency resonant mode implementation using digital control
- A simple method for determining the optimal operating point of an LED
- Can Dyson clean up in the battery sector?
- IKEA and Samsung back Qi wireless charging advance
- WPT breaks all connections, Part 1
- Data-acquisition: The key to a smart electrical grid
- Solar-powered plane completes first leg of global record attempt
- Battery-less IoT connectivity enabled by low-power & multi-standard wireless MCU
- Solar plane passes new test ahead of planned world tour
- Lithium battery shipments on passenger planes face ban
- Real-time power GaN waveform monitoring
- Lithium storage principle offers higher energy storage densities
- Advantages of power blocks for high-current POLs
- Is UK Government cutting solar subsidies too soon?
- Cheaper ultrathin perovskite solar cells target commerical viability
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems
- Smartphone SoC Power Efficiency - DVFS Capacitor Switching