Smartphone LCD backlight LED drivers offer industry's highest efficiency and smallest PCB area
The AS3674 backlight driver family complements austriamicrosystems' portfolio of lighting management units which address backlight, smart light and ALS (ambient light sensing) processing inside a single IC. The AS3674 is a highly efficient 2 MHz DC-DC switch mode step-up converter controlling 5 current sources with each driving 2 LEDs in series. For added flexibility, the current for the LED channels can be set by an external resistor with a maximum of 25 mA per channel. The AS3490 incorporates the same functionality as the AS3674 but addresses only three LED channels.
A soft startup feature allows the AS3674 to be integrated into noise sensitive RF systems. The AS3674 is controlled by two enable inputs which can also serve as PWM inputs between 100 Hz and 800 Hz with 1:2000 dimming ratio. The 2 LED per channel configuration combined with the 2 MHz operating frequency of the converter allow the use of tiny external components such as a 4.7 µH coil and results in very high efficiency, up to 6% higher than the closest competitor.
The AS3674 operates from a 2.5 to 5.5 V power supply and includes a number of safety features such as under-voltage lockout, overcurrent and over-temperature protection and LED testing. Both the AS3674 and AS3490 are housed in space saving 12-ball WL-CSP package (1.7 x 1.4 x 0.5 mm, 0.4 mm pitch).
Image1: AS3674 block diagram
For more information on the AS3674 and AS3490 please visit
http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/LED-driver/AS3674 and http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/LED-driver/AS3490
- Photo battery shines light on safer power
- Half-bridge gate driver for hybrid vehicle power systems
- Dielectric material helps keep LED packages much cooler
- DC output drive modules for reactive loads offer reverse energy protection
- 700V HVIC MOSFET drivers improve reliability, cut footprint
- Quantum dot blinking - a problem solved?
- Newswatch: Can IKEA make renewable energy payoff?
- Infineon takes CoolMOS to generation 7; halves switching losses
- Digital isolator technology in IGBT gate drivers yields performance & lifetime
- Smart, high-power-density motor driver has 85V/10A power stage
- Power-over-Ethernet meets LED lighting: Application note
- Quantum Materials provides eight-fold boost to QD production capacity
- Harvester makes light work of powering IoT devices
- US-Irish partnership pioneers GaN nanostructures for power electronics
- Will energy-saving lightbulb become graphene's first commercial success?
- Boeing issues fire hazard warning from lithium battery bulk shipments
- Power grid pilot highlights Europe's battery storage failings
- Smart meters can destabilize grid, study says
- Solar cell splits water to make fuel
- Solar powered flight smashes long distance records
- IBM slashes next-gen power
- Battery overheating stalls solar plane record attempt
- World first: Samsung monitor integrates inbuilt wireless charging
- Electric double-decker buses lead London's zero emission drive
- Perovskite solar cells - can production costs be lowered?
- Powering wearables: Are niobium nanowire supercapacitors the answer?
- Li-ion battery to power search for life on Mars
- Artificial light harvester reveals quantum physics of efficient photosynthesis
- Graphene nanoribbon could deliver power control for ships to smartphones
- Battery-powered aircraft crosses the Alps
- Dual Phase Buck Controller Drives High Density 1.2V/60A Supply with Submilliohm DCR Sensing
- Battery Management System Tutorial
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide