Smartphone LCD backlight LED drivers offer industry's highest efficiency and smallest PCB area
The AS3674 backlight driver family complements austriamicrosystems' portfolio of lighting management units which address backlight, smart light and ALS (ambient light sensing) processing inside a single IC. The AS3674 is a highly efficient 2 MHz DC-DC switch mode step-up converter controlling 5 current sources with each driving 2 LEDs in series. For added flexibility, the current for the LED channels can be set by an external resistor with a maximum of 25 mA per channel. The AS3490 incorporates the same functionality as the AS3674 but addresses only three LED channels.
A soft startup feature allows the AS3674 to be integrated into noise sensitive RF systems. The AS3674 is controlled by two enable inputs which can also serve as PWM inputs between 100 Hz and 800 Hz with 1:2000 dimming ratio. The 2 LED per channel configuration combined with the 2 MHz operating frequency of the converter allow the use of tiny external components such as a 4.7 µH coil and results in very high efficiency, up to 6% higher than the closest competitor.
The AS3674 operates from a 2.5 to 5.5 V power supply and includes a number of safety features such as under-voltage lockout, overcurrent and over-temperature protection and LED testing. Both the AS3674 and AS3490 are housed in space saving 12-ball WL-CSP package (1.7 x 1.4 x 0.5 mm, 0.4 mm pitch).
Image1: AS3674 block diagram
For more information on the AS3674 and AS3490 please visit
http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/LED-driver/AS3674 and http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/LED-driver/AS3490
- Smart window tints and acts as transparent battery
- Reference design spotlights high-power LED lighting applications
- PFC AC-DC drivers focus on LED lighting applications
- Energy-saving 810-nm IRED unlocks smartphones at a glance
- MOSFET gate drivers boost conversion efficiency
- Single-channel gate driver provides on-chip galvanic isolation
- Initiator device with integrated immobiliser 'wakes up' powered-down systems
- Automotive photovoltaic MOSFET driver rated for engine-compartment modules
- Multi-channel driver and inverter IPMs for industrial, white goods and consumer
- Connector solution supports DMX lighting-control protocol
- Pixel chip sparks energy-efficient intelligent LED headlamps
- 200-mA power supply supports 64 DALI device network
- IP builds low power memory for LCD drivers and touch screen controllers
- LEDs face power-saving rival based on carbon nanotubes
- LED power supply meets EMI global lighting standards
- From 20x faster batteries to spray-on solar cells
- The benefits of the coupled inductor technology
- French-German collaborators claim solar cell efficiency world record
- Can Fool's gold reduce the cost of solar cells?
- Vicor extends “component power” concepts with VIA package
- BMW and Tesla look at car battery alliance
- Electrostatic potential technique harvests more of the sun’s energy
- Australian researchers claim solar energy efficiency world record
- Advanced lead-carbon batteries could enable 48V super hybrid vehicles
- Death to "half-power handsets"
- Product How-to: Power supply Black Box revolutionizes customer diagnostics
- EnOcean eyes the consumer market
- New electrolyte promises cheaper high efficiency magnesium-sulfur batteries
- Do electric vehicle batteries on the grid make sense?
- Bio batteries take step closer to clean energy
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems
- Smartphone SoC Power Efficiency - DVFS Capacitor Switching
- Power Modules: The New Super Power
- Digital Power Management Reduces Energy Costs While Improving System Performance
- How to Charge Supercapacitor Banks for Energy Storage