Smartphone LCD backlight LED drivers offer industry's highest efficiency and smallest PCB area
The AS3674 backlight driver family complements austriamicrosystems' portfolio of lighting management units which address backlight, smart light and ALS (ambient light sensing) processing inside a single IC. The AS3674 is a highly efficient 2 MHz DC-DC switch mode step-up converter controlling 5 current sources with each driving 2 LEDs in series. For added flexibility, the current for the LED channels can be set by an external resistor with a maximum of 25 mA per channel. The AS3490 incorporates the same functionality as the AS3674 but addresses only three LED channels.
A soft startup feature allows the AS3674 to be integrated into noise sensitive RF systems. The AS3674 is controlled by two enable inputs which can also serve as PWM inputs between 100 Hz and 800 Hz with 1:2000 dimming ratio. The 2 LED per channel configuration combined with the 2 MHz operating frequency of the converter allow the use of tiny external components such as a 4.7 µH coil and results in very high efficiency, up to 6% higher than the closest competitor.
The AS3674 operates from a 2.5 to 5.5 V power supply and includes a number of safety features such as under-voltage lockout, overcurrent and over-temperature protection and LED testing. Both the AS3674 and AS3490 are housed in space saving 12-ball WL-CSP package (1.7 x 1.4 x 0.5 mm, 0.4 mm pitch).
Image1: AS3674 block diagram
For more information on the AS3674 and AS3490 please visit
http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/LED-driver/AS3674 and http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/LED-driver/AS3490
- Digital isolator technology in IGBT gate drivers yields performance & lifetime
- Smart, high-power-density motor driver has 85V/10A power stage
- Power-over-Ethernet meets LED lighting: Application note
- Quantum Materials provides eight-fold boost to QD production capacity
- Harvester makes light work of powering IoT devices
- US-Irish partnership pioneers GaN nanostructures for power electronics
- Will energy-saving lightbulb become graphene's first commercial success?
- Isolated gate driver operates at up to 225°C
- Software simulation of ST power devices, by free download tool
- Roll-to-roll printing of organic solar cells and LEDs
- LED lighting controller boosts PFC, efficiency specifications for 20-150W
- Mouser signs global distribution deal with CUI
- MOSFET family delivers lowest on-resistance and output capacitance
- Durable 480-V passive power supply focuses on high-voltage applications
- Switch to LED lighting cuts cruising energy costs by 60 percent
- Will home battery market entry give Tesla traction?
- How do lithium-ion batteries explode in real-time?
- New demands on DC-link power capacitors
- Infineon seeks buyer for Welsh wafer fab
- Fairchild cuts IGBT switching losses by 30 percent
- Single material battery is safer, simpler and more efficient
- Black silicon solar cells push efficiency record to 22.1 percent
- Single-cell 5-A battery-charger IC cuts battery-charge times 60 percent
- The advantages of an LED power supply over standard ITE power supplies
- Wireless charging gets universal antenna
- Digital signal controllers consume up to 80 percent less power
- Boron-infused graphene helps quadruple performance of microsupercapacitor
- Infineon acquisition strengthens position in global IPM market
- Intuitive innovation in wireless power transfer, Part 1
- Build an electronic battery simulator
- Battery Management System Tutorial
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems