Soitec to build 50MW solar plant in South Africa
Soitec said Investec Bank Ltd., a specialist banking group operating in South Africa, Australia and the United Kingdom, has agreed to finance the project and raise the equity to build the solar power plant. Financial arrangements are expected to be closed by the end of the second quarter 2012.
The plant will be equipped with Concentrix Solar's fifth-generation concentrator photovoltaic (CPV) systems. The CPV system includes a 28 kW tracker of over 100 square-meters of module area and is designed to improve the Levelized Cost of Electricity (LCoE) for very large solar power plants.
Concentrix Solar said the system’s configuration improves upon its previous CPV products, boosting energy-generating efficiencies by 30 percent.
South Africa’s Department of Energy said it expects that 42 percent of all newly installed capacity in the next twenty years will be based on renewable-energy sources.
Concentrix Solar has been present in South Africa since 2008 and inaugurated a 60 kilowatts (kW) facility at the Aquila Private Game Reserve in Touwsrivier, Western Cape in August 2011.
- Perovskites: Can focusing on 'dark' flaws boost efficiencies?
- Trina claims world efficiency multi-crystalline silicon modules record
- Quantum Materials provides eight-fold boost to QD production capacity
- European development trio link with Indian solar module producer
- The ultimate 'Selfie' solution: A self-powered video camera
- Charging discovery opens new class of organic electronic devices
- Indoor solar-powered wireless mesh delivers 99.999% data reliability
- Shunt-based current sensor supports solar inverter applications
- Europe leads PV uptake charts as global growth continues
- MIT pinpoints promising pathways for solar photovoltaic power
- UK becomes only bright spot in Europe's solar market
- Saft lands USD10m energy storage order for Qatar oilfield
- Can tandem photovoltaics achieve record solar cell efficiencies?
- Is UK Government cutting solar subsidies too soon?
- Sol Voltaics claims GaAs nanowire world-record for solar energy
- Bias power made easy
- Has Google entered the battle for next-generation batteries?
- Medical devices: Where wireless charging has real impact
- Polymer discovery paves way for low-cost ultrafast batteries
- New demands on DC-link power capacitors
- IKEA embeds wireless power transmitters in furniture and lamps
- Can fast-charging aluminum-ion battery dampen safety fears?
- Power management design for single-cell battery system
- WPT breaks all connections, Part 3
- Cold Fusion: Still alive and kicking (But perhaps without the fusion)
- Wireless charging gets universal antenna
- Power grids - How many EVs can be charged simultaneoulsy?
- Harvesting energy from electromagnetic waves
- How can iron fluoride triple energy storage in batteries?
- Will metal-free catalyst lower rechargeable zinc-air battery costs?
- Battery Management System Tutorial
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems