Source/sink step-down regulator offers adjustable current limit benefits
Additionally, the LTM8052 is capable of sourcing or sinking current while regulating an adjustable output voltage. For simple noise filtering, the LTM8052 operates at a constant frequency throughout the entire output current range.
The µModule regulator converts an input voltage between 6 V and 36 V to an adjustable output voltage between 1.2 V to 24V. In a 12 V input to 2.5 V output application, the LTM8052 achieves a peak operating efficiency of 88% at 2 A. Applications include industrial, medical imaging and communications point of load, charge balancing and Peltier thermoelectric module drivers.
The LTM8052’s 10% accurate current limit is an improvement compared with traditional step-down regulators whose current limit can be 40%-50% greater than the actual output current. With the LTM8052, a lower power and less costly upstream power supply can be installed, which would otherwise require a greater output power rating to prevent a collapse of the voltage rail under an overcurrent or short-circuit condition.
The current limit may also be compensated for temperature using a thermistor for improved thermal management. When sinking current, the µModule regulator recovers energy, transferring it to the input rail rather than dissipating it as heat in conventional methods. For noise-sensitive applications, the LTM8052 can be synchronized to an external clock frequency in the range of 100 kHz to 1 MHz. Additional features include externally adjustable soft start, adjustable switching frequency and thermal shutdown.
Availability and Pricing
The LTM8052 is packaged within a thermally efficient 11.25 mm x 15 mm x 2.82 mm LGA package. The two temperature grades, E and I for the -40 to +125°C temperature range, are available for immediate delivery from stock. Pricing starts at $13.17 each for 1,000-piece quantities.
More information about the LTM8052 at
- High power amplifier with integrated power detector targets backhaul
- KIT, Schaeffler optimise power steering for electric cars
- Automatically-compensated digital PoL controller matches analogue loop performance
- Europe leads PV uptake charts as global growth continues
- Smart power switch replaces discretes in powertrain and automotive body electronics
- UK becomes only bright spot in Europe's solar market
- Intepro expands to support growth plans
- Ultra-low-power 32-bit MCU platform targets industrial and IoT applications
- Can tandem photovoltaics achieve record solar cell efficiencies?
- Is UK Government cutting solar subsidies too soon?
- Bluetooth Smart SoC family targets wireless charging for IoT
- Linear adds micro-module regulators with 60V/4A & 36V/8A buck-boost types
- micro-PMIC provides integrated power management for wearable devices
- Software simulation of ST power devices, by free download tool
- Bosch CEO predicts cheaper batteries, networked traffic
- High efficiency resonant mode implementation using digital control
- A simple method for determining the optimal operating point of an LED
- WPT breaks all connections, Part 1
- Can Dyson clean up in the battery sector?
- Revealed - The real impact of battery bounce testing
- Data-acquisition: The key to a smart electrical grid
- IKEA and Samsung back Qi wireless charging advance
- Will energy-saving lightbulb become graphene's first commercial success?
- Solar-powered plane completes first leg of global record attempt
- Real-time power GaN waveform monitoring
- Solar plane passes new test ahead of planned world tour
- Lithium battery shipments on passenger planes face ban
- How to get higher efficiency at lower loads: A new LLC platform makes it possible
- Lithium storage principle offers higher energy storage densities
- Advantages of power blocks for high-current POLs
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems
- Smartphone SoC Power Efficiency - DVFS Capacitor Switching