ST audio amplifier maintains hi-fi sound during engine turn-off and cranking
STMicroelectronics hast started production of is pioneering of the TDA7850LV, a 4x50W audio power amplifier. The device is the first start/stop-compatible IC of its kind in production, ST claims.
Start-stop systems, seen by many manufacturers as a big contributor to reducing fuel consumption, shut down the engine when the vehicle is stopped, for example at traffic lights, and restarts as the driver prepares to move off. In cars fitted with start/stop, the supply voltage for on-board electrical equipment can fall to as low as 6V when the engine is turned off and restarted and only the battery is supplying electrical power. Switching between battery power and alternator power can generate 'pop and click' noise the audio system's output. Hybrid-electric vehicles present similar challenges to electronic equipment designers.
According to ST, discrete components external to the audio power amplifier can be used to build circuitry to regulate the supply voltage and suppress pop and click noises. However, these circuits complicate design and add significantly to bill-of-materials costs. ST's TDA7850LV audio power amplifier makes the use of all these components unnecessary and therefore simplifies design, reduces cost, and saves pc-board space.
The chip vendor is preparing a family of start/stop audio power amplifiers which will include entry-level class-AB amplifiers, digital devices with diagnostic features, and an automotive class-D family offering outstanding power efficiency.
In addition to start/stop compatibility, the TDA7850LV features ST's Flexiwatt power package – according to the vendor now the de-facto standard for car audio ICs. A variety of configurations are available, including vertically or horizontally mounted packages. In addition, a surface-mount variant allows car-audio makers to take advantage of high-speed fully automated assembly enabling increased throughput and production quality.
Other features include Hi-fi class distortion, low output noise and an integrated high-side driver supporting antenna control and similar functions. The device also incorporates protection against common vehicle electric hazards such as short circuits to ground and battery, open-circuited speakers or overtemperature.
The TDA7850LV is currently ramping-up mass production, priced at $5.30 for orders of 1000 pieces. Alternative pricing options are available for larger volumes.
For further information, please visit www.st.com.
- Smallest conduction cooled power supply focuses on LED lighting
- Photoswitching material harnesses solar power for heat storage
- Low-energy light detection breakthrough aims high
- CMOS-on-insulator RF power limiters are alternative to discrete, PIN-diode circuits
- 40A point-of-load power-conversion for high-performance FPGAs, SoCs and memory
- Powerstax signs modular rectifier distribution deal with KraftPowercon
- Material breakthrough speeds production of cheaper solar cells
- MCUs target motor control and digital power conversion
- 55m euros project ramps up power electronics production plans
- Envelope tracking company attracts USD20m for growth plans
- Qi wireless charging targets public locations
- High-power connector delivers 60A to backplane line cards
- Ultra-low-power boost regulator targets energy harvesting systems
- GaN-on-Silicon wafer supply deal targets mainstream breakthrough
- 28-nm silicon tests confirm world-leading SRAM power efficiency
- Fly-buck adds well-regulated isolated outputs to a buck without optocouplers
- Tesla car battery fires caused by road debris damage
- III-V solar cells on graphene break efficiency record
- Packaging advances match semiconductor progress in power converter miniaturisation
- Quantum dot solar concentrator opens energy harvesting window
- Slideshow: Focusing on power trends at APEC 2014
- Perovskite-based solar cell breakthrough offers 24-hour benefits
- Simple PS voltage splitters based on audio amplifiers - Part 3
- Panasonic cracks solar cell 25 percent conversion efficiency barrier
- Solar cell efficiency - Is it all in the mix?
- Four-quadrant DC/DC switching regulator smoothly transitions from positive to negative output voltages for FPGA
- Biofilm-based living materials promise solar cell advance
- 40% transparent organic solar cells claim efficiency record
- Degradation discovery helps extend solar cell lifetimes
- Vaio batteries risk catching fire warns Sony
- Integrated Analog and Digital Power Supply for Remote Sensors
- USB 5V 2.5A Output, 42V Input Synchronous Buck with Cable Drop Compensation
- Supplying DC input power to string inverters
- Optimise Thermal Management of ChiP Products
- ON Semiconductor Hybrid Power Solutions
- High Efficiency, 150V 100mA Synchronous Step-Down Regulator
- High-voltage DC distribution is key to increased system efficiency and renewable-energy opportunities