ST audio amplifier maintains hi-fi sound during engine turn-off and cranking
STMicroelectronics hast started production of is pioneering of the TDA7850LV, a 4x50W audio power amplifier. The device is the first start/stop-compatible IC of its kind in production, ST claims.
Start-stop systems, seen by many manufacturers as a big contributor to reducing fuel consumption, shut down the engine when the vehicle is stopped, for example at traffic lights, and restarts as the driver prepares to move off. In cars fitted with start/stop, the supply voltage for on-board electrical equipment can fall to as low as 6V when the engine is turned off and restarted and only the battery is supplying electrical power. Switching between battery power and alternator power can generate 'pop and click' noise the audio system's output. Hybrid-electric vehicles present similar challenges to electronic equipment designers.
According to ST, discrete components external to the audio power amplifier can be used to build circuitry to regulate the supply voltage and suppress pop and click noises. However, these circuits complicate design and add significantly to bill-of-materials costs. ST's TDA7850LV audio power amplifier makes the use of all these components unnecessary and therefore simplifies design, reduces cost, and saves pc-board space.
The chip vendor is preparing a family of start/stop audio power amplifiers which will include entry-level class-AB amplifiers, digital devices with diagnostic features, and an automotive class-D family offering outstanding power efficiency.
In addition to start/stop compatibility, the TDA7850LV features ST's Flexiwatt power package – according to the vendor now the de-facto standard for car audio ICs. A variety of configurations are available, including vertically or horizontally mounted packages. In addition, a surface-mount variant allows car-audio makers to take advantage of high-speed fully automated assembly enabling increased throughput and production quality.
Other features include Hi-fi class distortion, low output noise and an integrated high-side driver supporting antenna control and similar functions. The device also incorporates protection against common vehicle electric hazards such as short circuits to ground and battery, open-circuited speakers or overtemperature.
The TDA7850LV is currently ramping-up mass production, priced at $5.30 for orders of 1000 pieces. Alternative pricing options are available for larger volumes.
For further information, please visit www.st.com.
- GaN amplifier offers best in class thermal resistance
- ARCOL Resistors extends global distribution deal with RS Components
- Low cost 6-W DC-DC converters fit in DIP-24 package to offer space-saving benefits
- Hot-swap modular power supplies offer fast response and flexibility
- Transphorm acquires Fujitsu's GaN power conversion business
- 1200-V field stop trench IGBTs offer faster switching performance with improved reliability
- Power efficient 'sensor on a chip' family simplifies relative humidity sensing
- Space-saving -20-V p-channel MOSFET offers low on-resistance down to 8.0-mOhms at -4.5-V
- Compact power supply delivers 60-W of power for medical applications
- Power MOSFET family supports DC-DC converter applications
- AMETEK acquires power management systems provider Powervar
- Li-ion battery management ICs target E-bikes, power tools and HEV applications
- World market for direct current power systems for commercial buildings to be USD10bn by 2020
- PFC controller halves power consumption yet delivers PFC greater than 0.95
- High-current power module relies on digital controller for precision output voltage control
- Wearable textile battery is capable of being recharged by lightweight solar cells
- Cooling without a fan
- Texas Instruments releases the industry's most extensive reference design library
- OLEDS and solar cells to come straight from the printer in future
- The Top 10 Most Popular Power Management News Stories of 2013
- Digital DC/DC power controller's compensation free control loop reduces design risks and costs
- World's smallest FM radio transmitter made from graphene
- New primary side regulation constant voltage solution in LED driver
- Self healing lithium-ion battery electrode technology could prove disruptive
- Power amplifier solution for mobile base stations doubles efficiency
- Demo Bluetooth low energy keyboard is 10x thinner than any other
- Wireless power: Accommodating new industry standards
- Selecting FETs for hot-swap source connection
- Using film and aluminum electrolytic caps in power converters for voltage stabilization in HV grids
- Bio-based solar cell uses photosynthetic proteins to generate electricity
- 3mm Ã— 3mm QFN IC Directly Monitors 0V to 80V Supplies
- Adaptive Cell Converter Topology Enables Constant Efficiency in PFC Applications
- Ultra-compact and innovative - new Schaffner IEC inlet filter series
- EMC Considerations for Switching Power Supplies
- How to Achieve Power Estimation, Reduction and Verification in Low Power Design
- Industrial-Grade Wide Temperature Assurance for Intelligent Systems
- High-voltage DC distribution is key to increased system efficiency and renewable-energy opportunities