ST audio amplifier maintains hi-fi sound during engine turn-off and cranking
STMicroelectronics hast started production of is pioneering of the TDA7850LV, a 4x50W audio power amplifier. The device is the first start/stop-compatible IC of its kind in production, ST claims.
Start-stop systems, seen by many manufacturers as a big contributor to reducing fuel consumption, shut down the engine when the vehicle is stopped, for example at traffic lights, and restarts as the driver prepares to move off. In cars fitted with start/stop, the supply voltage for on-board electrical equipment can fall to as low as 6V when the engine is turned off and restarted and only the battery is supplying electrical power. Switching between battery power and alternator power can generate 'pop and click' noise the audio system's output. Hybrid-electric vehicles present similar challenges to electronic equipment designers.
According to ST, discrete components external to the audio power amplifier can be used to build circuitry to regulate the supply voltage and suppress pop and click noises. However, these circuits complicate design and add significantly to bill-of-materials costs. ST's TDA7850LV audio power amplifier makes the use of all these components unnecessary and therefore simplifies design, reduces cost, and saves pc-board space.
The chip vendor is preparing a family of start/stop audio power amplifiers which will include entry-level class-AB amplifiers, digital devices with diagnostic features, and an automotive class-D family offering outstanding power efficiency.
In addition to start/stop compatibility, the TDA7850LV features ST's Flexiwatt power package – according to the vendor now the de-facto standard for car audio ICs. A variety of configurations are available, including vertically or horizontally mounted packages. In addition, a surface-mount variant allows car-audio makers to take advantage of high-speed fully automated assembly enabling increased throughput and production quality.
Other features include Hi-fi class distortion, low output noise and an integrated high-side driver supporting antenna control and similar functions. The device also incorporates protection against common vehicle electric hazards such as short circuits to ground and battery, open-circuited speakers or overtemperature.
The TDA7850LV is currently ramping-up mass production, priced at $5.30 for orders of 1000 pieces. Alternative pricing options are available for larger volumes.
For further information, please visit www.st.com.
- High-integration power management ICs targets portable computing devices
- GPTG agrees global distribution deal with Digi-Key
- 10W charger design for smart mobile devices meets latest specs
- The ultimate 'Selfie' solution: A self-powered video camera
- 200W, 98%, buck-boost regulators in 10x14mm module format
- Harvesting energy from electromagnetic waves
- Europe’s first commercial Li-ion ESS deployment supports Faroe wind farm
- Battery-backed power supplies maintain up to 115W
- Baseplate cooled AC-DC power supplies deliver 110W
- 75W triple output AC-DC power supplies
- Harvester makes light work of powering IoT devices
- Compact 100W baseplate-cooled power supply
- 7.0x7.5mm shielded power inductors take up to 59.2A
- Bluetooth Smart Wearable-on-Chip offers industry-leading battery life performance
- High power low-pass filters handle up to 2500 W
- Revealed - The real impact of battery bounce testing
- Bias power made easy
- Will energy-saving lightbulb become graphene's first commercial success?
- Polymer discovery paves way for low-cost ultrafast batteries
- How to get higher efficiency at lower loads: A new LLC platform makes it possible
- Has Google entered the battle for next-generation batteries?
- WPT breaks all connections, Part 3
- Quick-charging hybrid supercapacitor trumps thin-film lithium battery
- Can fast-charging aluminum-ion battery dampen safety fears?
- WPT breaks all connections, Part 2
- Power grids - How many EVs can be charged simultaneoulsy?
- Will metal-free catalyst lower rechargeable zinc-air battery costs?
- Is UK Government cutting solar subsidies too soon?
- MIT pinpoints promising pathways for solar photovoltaic power
- Can tandem photovoltaics achieve record solar cell efficiencies?
- Battery Management System Tutorial
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems