ST audio amplifier maintains hi-fi sound during engine turn-off and cranking
STMicroelectronics hast started production of is pioneering of the TDA7850LV, a 4x50W audio power amplifier. The device is the first start/stop-compatible IC of its kind in production, ST claims.
Start-stop systems, seen by many manufacturers as a big contributor to reducing fuel consumption, shut down the engine when the vehicle is stopped, for example at traffic lights, and restarts as the driver prepares to move off. In cars fitted with start/stop, the supply voltage for on-board electrical equipment can fall to as low as 6V when the engine is turned off and restarted and only the battery is supplying electrical power. Switching between battery power and alternator power can generate 'pop and click' noise the audio system's output. Hybrid-electric vehicles present similar challenges to electronic equipment designers.
According to ST, discrete components external to the audio power amplifier can be used to build circuitry to regulate the supply voltage and suppress pop and click noises. However, these circuits complicate design and add significantly to bill-of-materials costs. ST's TDA7850LV audio power amplifier makes the use of all these components unnecessary and therefore simplifies design, reduces cost, and saves pc-board space.
The chip vendor is preparing a family of start/stop audio power amplifiers which will include entry-level class-AB amplifiers, digital devices with diagnostic features, and an automotive class-D family offering outstanding power efficiency.
In addition to start/stop compatibility, the TDA7850LV features ST's Flexiwatt power package – according to the vendor now the de-facto standard for car audio ICs. A variety of configurations are available, including vertically or horizontally mounted packages. In addition, a surface-mount variant allows car-audio makers to take advantage of high-speed fully automated assembly enabling increased throughput and production quality.
Other features include Hi-fi class distortion, low output noise and an integrated high-side driver supporting antenna control and similar functions. The device also incorporates protection against common vehicle electric hazards such as short circuits to ground and battery, open-circuited speakers or overtemperature.
The TDA7850LV is currently ramping-up mass production, priced at $5.30 for orders of 1000 pieces. Alternative pricing options are available for larger volumes.
For further information, please visit www.st.com.
- Nujira surpasses own world record for ET PA linearity
- PCIe clock generators offer the smallest footprint and lowest power
- 60-V integrated power modules extends power capability of low load-impedance Class D audio systems
- PFC IC enables compact designs for consumer products and PCs
- Radiation hardened DC-DC power conversion devices support space power systems
- 650-V n-channel power MOSFET series adds 23 new high power density devices
- LED power supply suits hand-held devices
- Integrated PFC IC for compact consumer products
- 420-W quarter brick DC-DC converters are PMBus compliant
- EPC offers GaN power library online
- Volvo evaluates flywheel hybrid drive - fuel savings of up to 25%
- PV storage market is set to grow to USD19bn by 2017
- Ultra-low-power SoC supports world's smallest Bluetooth location stickers
- Power-One enters into patent license agreement with Microchip
- Quad-MOSFET solution boosts efficiency and eliminates heat sinking in active bridge applications
- Imec and Renesas collaborate on ultra-low power short range radios
- Solar industry capital spending hits seven-year low in 2013 but upturn is on the cards
- Market for GaN and SiC power semiconductors set to rise by factor of 18 in next decade
- Advanced microcontroller combines floating point and low leakage technology to achieve longest battery lifetime in portable applications
- World's lowest power Bluetooth smart chip is unveiled
- Dangers of Aftermarket Counterfeit Battery Packs
- High Voltage Surge Stoppers Ensure Reliable Operation During Power Surges
- Motor-Drive Design made Simple
- Adaptive Cell Converter Topology Enables Constant Efficiency in PFC Applications
- Micropower Isolated Flyback Converter with Input Voltage Range from 6V to 100V
- Derating of Schottky Diodes
- Heatsink Optimization
- High Performance ZVS Buck Regulator Removes Barriers To Increased Power Throughput
- Waste heat replaces batteries
- Stepper Motor Control IC