System-on-Chip technology comes of age
October 09, 2012 | Pushkar Ranade | 222905254
Pushkar Ranade, Senior Director, Process Integration SuVolta, Inc. describes the emerging importance of the SoC, its likely technological evolution and its potential impact on the semiconductor industry in a mobility driven age.
Page 1 of 11The silicon transistor continues to be at the heart of post-PC era products like the smartphone and the tablet. The success metrics for the transistor, however, are quite different for these mobile consumer products than they have been in the past. Frequency (clock-speed) was the primary metric in the PC era and the central processing unit (CPU) was the primary chip that drove advancements in semiconductor technology for decades. Form-factor was hardly an influencer and there wasnt as much of a drive to integrate system-level functionality either on-chip (SoC) or in-package (SiP).
Form-factor, cost and power for a given function are now critical drivers in the mobile market and that in turn has increased the importance of on-chip integration of functional hardware (e.g. power management, computing, audio/video, graphics, GPS and radio). This shift from mostly performance-centric chips to mostly power-constrained chips and the focus on lowering cost and increasing system-level integration is poised to disrupt the traditional semiconductor landscape. SoC technology has been used by fabless vendors and foundries for well over a decade. But it is the rapid proliferation of mobile post-PC products that is proving to be the catalyst for this technology to finally realize its full disruptive potential. Within the last five years, SoC technology has moved from being at the heart of smartphones to enabling tablets and full feature mobile computers like ultrabooks.
Please login to post your comment - click here
MOST POPULAR NEWS
- Fly-buck adds well-regulated isolated outputs to a buck without optocouplers
- Tesla car battery fires caused by road debris damage
- III-V solar cells on graphene break efficiency record
- Packaging advances match semiconductor progress in power converter miniaturisation
- Quantum dot solar concentrator opens energy harvesting window
- Slideshow: Focusing on power trends at APEC 2014
- Perovskite-based solar cell breakthrough offers 24-hour benefits
- Simple PS voltage splitters based on audio amplifiers - Part 3
- Panasonic cracks solar cell 25 percent conversion efficiency barrier
- Solar cell efficiency - Is it all in the mix?
- Four-quadrant DC/DC switching regulator smoothly transitions from positive to negative output voltages for FPGA
- Biofilm-based living materials promise solar cell advance
- 40% transparent organic solar cells claim efficiency record
- Degradation discovery helps extend solar cell lifetimes
- Vaio batteries risk catching fire warns Sony
- Integrated Analog and Digital Power Supply for Remote Sensors
- USB 5V 2.5A Output, 42V Input Synchronous Buck with Cable Drop Compensation
- Supplying DC input power to string inverters
- Optimise Thermal Management of ChiP Products
- ON Semiconductor Hybrid Power Solutions
- High Efficiency, 150V 100mA Synchronous Step-Down Regulator
- High-voltage DC distribution is key to increased system efficiency and renewable-energy opportunities