Texas Instruments unveils industry’s first real-time JPEG 2000 HD solution on multicore DSP
Four TI TMS320C6678 multicore DSPs with JPEG 2000 codecs are available on TI’s design network member, Advantech’s, new DSPC-8681E half-length PCI express card , making it ideal for processing intensive, power efficient applications in industries such as broadcast and digital cinema. JPEG 2000 is an image compression codec offering significant flexibility and performance increases over previous versions.
With the JPEG 2000 codec running as a real-time application across four TI C6678 DSPs simultaneously , Advantech’s low-cost DSPC-8681E video engine can support 2K/4K resolution video encoding/decoding at a low power consumption of 54 W . Because TI’s C6678 DSP is entirely software based, switching codecs and parameters is seamless for developers, unlike on a FPGA. The flexibility of this new solution allows broadcast and digital cinema developers to more quickly and easily design applications than ever before. In addition, TI has reduced developers’ costs by 50 percent, running the JPEG 2000 codec on Advantech’s DSPC-8681 platform.
“TI’s new codec implementations on Advantech’s PCIe-based video engines offer equipment manufacturers the true flexibility that an all software methodology brings to video processing,” said David Lin, director DSP solutions, Advantech. “This allows them to deploy leading edge hardware today with product lifecycles significantly extended by software, resulting in a lower total-cost-of-ownership and future-proofed solutions for their customers.”
To further ease development, TI’s C6678 multimedia solution includes a comprehensive portfolio of video codecs, including the real-time JPEG 2000 codec, which will be accessible through TI’s website. TI’s full portfolio of video codecs also includes the H.264, H.263, MPEG4, MPEG2, JPEG, VC1, Soren Spark encoders and decoders. With an all software approach TI will be able to quickly bring up additional codecs in the future such as AVC Intra and H.265 on the C6678 DSP.
TI’s C6678 multimedia solution is also ideal for applications in the video surveillance, medical and mission critical industries.
TI’s JPEG 2000 HD codec will be available free for download from www.ti.com in June 2012 .
More information about TI’s KeyStone multicore architecture at www.ti.com/multicore
- Low-power battery management for wearables/IoT
- Fastest 600-V gate driver steps up power density
- Cathode material discovery boosts the drive for sodium-ion batteries
- 20/30A PMBus converters lower EMI, support adaptive voltage scaling
- Altera brings in ZMDI to boost digital power control integration
- DPD demodulator steps up performance for base stations
- ROHM Semiconductor acquires digital power management specialist Powervation
- TI adds advanced WEBENCH tools for expert power-supply designers
- Half-bridge gate driver for hybrid vehicle power systems
- Precision power analyzer claims world's highest power measurement accuracy
- Freescale's multicore ARM-based i.MX 7 processors maximise performance/power
- TI unveils industry’s lowest power wideband RF synthesizer
- 3.3V PCIe clock generators cut power draw
- Multicore SHARC+ARM SOC achieves 5x power efficiency performance
- Brazil startup offers PMIC for solar energy harvesting
- Will DIY spray-on solar cells be a reality soon?
- Daimler to step into the ring against Tesla with own e-car design
- Porsche reveals prototype battery-driven sports car
- Transparent coating cools solar cells while boosting efficiency
- Light-harvesting nanoparticles power solar water-splitting technology
- Dialog to acquire Atmel for USD4.6bn in IoT push
- Super-battery charges mobile devices in 15 seconds or less
- Elon Musk targets high-volume solar panel dominance
- Hybrid solar panel roof helps slash energy bills
- World efficiency record claimed for both sides-contacted solar cells
- Are mushrooms the answer to lithium-ion battery degradation?
- DC-DC Conversion Handbook on GaN
- More-than-Moore will lead, argues GloFo's Wijburg
- GaN soon on 8-inch silicon wafers, hopes MACOM
- Report: Cypress preps bid to snatch Atmel from Dialog
- Determine Balancing Current for the LTC3305 Lead-Acid Battery Balancer
- Testing PSRR with High-Frequency Ripple
- Why Making the Move from a Variable Transformer to a VariPLUS is the Right Decision
- A SEPIC Fed Buck Converter
- Minimizing the Impact of Source Resistance on High-Voltage DC to DC Converters
- Dual Phase Buck Controller Drives High Density 1.2V/60A Supply with Submilliohm DCR Sensing
- Battery Management System Tutorial