Texas Instruments unveils industry’s first real-time JPEG 2000 HD solution on multicore DSP
Four TI TMS320C6678 multicore DSPs with JPEG 2000 codecs are available on TI’s design network member, Advantech’s, new DSPC-8681E half-length PCI express card , making it ideal for processing intensive, power efficient applications in industries such as broadcast and digital cinema. JPEG 2000 is an image compression codec offering significant flexibility and performance increases over previous versions.
With the JPEG 2000 codec running as a real-time application across four TI C6678 DSPs simultaneously , Advantech’s low-cost DSPC-8681E video engine can support 2K/4K resolution video encoding/decoding at a low power consumption of 54 W . Because TI’s C6678 DSP is entirely software based, switching codecs and parameters is seamless for developers, unlike on a FPGA. The flexibility of this new solution allows broadcast and digital cinema developers to more quickly and easily design applications than ever before. In addition, TI has reduced developers’ costs by 50 percent, running the JPEG 2000 codec on Advantech’s DSPC-8681 platform.
“TI’s new codec implementations on Advantech’s PCIe-based video engines offer equipment manufacturers the true flexibility that an all software methodology brings to video processing,” said David Lin, director DSP solutions, Advantech. “This allows them to deploy leading edge hardware today with product lifecycles significantly extended by software, resulting in a lower total-cost-of-ownership and future-proofed solutions for their customers.”
To further ease development, TI’s C6678 multimedia solution includes a comprehensive portfolio of video codecs, including the real-time JPEG 2000 codec, which will be accessible through TI’s website. TI’s full portfolio of video codecs also includes the H.264, H.263, MPEG4, MPEG2, JPEG, VC1, Soren Spark encoders and decoders. With an all software approach TI will be able to quickly bring up additional codecs in the future such as AVC Intra and H.265 on the C6678 DSP.
TI’s C6678 multimedia solution is also ideal for applications in the video surveillance, medical and mission critical industries.
TI’s JPEG 2000 HD codec will be available free for download from www.ti.com in June 2012 .
More information about TI’s KeyStone multicore architecture at www.ti.com/multicore
- Precision power analyzer claims world's highest power measurement accuracy
- Freescale's multicore ARM-based i.MX 7 processors maximise performance/power
- TI unveils industry’s lowest power wideband RF synthesizer
- 3.3V PCIe clock generators cut power draw
- Multicore SHARC+ARM SOC achieves 5x power efficiency performance
- Brazil startup offers PMIC for solar energy harvesting
- Scalable, asymmetric multicore processor targets wireless connectivity
- Digital power chipset optimises dead time automatically
- Digital power controllers offer simple configuration, ease of use
- Digital signal controllers consume up to 80 percent less power
- Single-cell 5-A battery-charger IC cuts battery-charge times 60 percent
- TI partners SIGFOX to deliver low-power IoT connectivity
- Cadence/Tensilica shapes DSP IP for low-energy SoC implementations
- Will metal-free catalyst lower rechargeable zinc-air battery costs?
- Isolators with on-chip DC/DC make 2W plug-and-play isolated power supplies
- DC/DC converter PCB layout, Part 1
- Energy in an emergency: How the evolution of the battery is having a knock on effect in emergency lighting
- LLC synchronous rectification made easy, robust and more efficient
- Measure heat usage in a radiator and gather consumption data for modern 'Green' analysis
- Quantum dot blinking - a problem solved?
- Using Wi-Fi to power the IoT
- Samsung and LG: Reshaping the future for rechargeable mobile batteries
- Semisolid innovation trims lithium-ion battery costs by 50 percent
- Power grid pilot highlights Europe's battery storage failings
- Graphene ultracapacitor claims market’s highest energy density
- DC/DC converter PCB layout, Part 2
- Powering Ethernet, Part 1: Designing for low power consumption in operation
- Constant-voltage topology and intelligent dimming drives LEDs efficiently
- Electrolyte additives prevent fires in next-generation lithium batteries
- UK start-up gears up to capture UK home energy storage market
- Battery Management System Tutorial
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems