Three-output DC-DC controllers with tracking/sequencing reduce 40nm logic devices costs
The controllers drive external MOSFETs to deliver a regulated 0.6 V to 19 V output voltage and up to 15 A of load current per output.
Additionally, integrated tracking/sequencing allows customers to seamlessly control core and I/O voltages. This combination of versatility, integration, and performance makes the MAX15048/MAX15049 well suited for a variety of high-reliability power-supply applications such as those in telecom, networking, storage, and server equipment.
The MAX15048/MAX15049 are precision engineered to eliminate external components and save costs. They operate from a wide 4.7 V to 23 V input range to support low-cost battery packs, as well as the latest 40 nm ASICs. Each PWM section operates from a programmable switching frequency (200 kHz to 1.2 MHz). Operating at 1.2 MHz and 120 degrees out-of-phase increases the input capacitor ripple frequency to 3.6 MHz. This reduces the RMS input ripple current and, thus, the size of the input bypass capacitor. The MAX15048/MAX15049 integrate bootstrap diodes for additional system cost savings.
The devices feature digital soft-start/soft-stop for glitch-free power-up and power-down. Power-good circuitry monitors all three outputs and provides a signal to the system controller/processor when all outputs are within regulation to enable system-level monitoring.
Integrated protection features include lossless valley-mode current limiting, hiccup-mode output short-circuit protection, and thermal shutdown.
Availability and Pricing
The MAX15048/MAX15049 are offered in a thermally enhanced, 5 mm x 5 mm, 32-pin TQFN package, and are fully specified over the -40 to +85 degrees Celsius extended temperature range. Prices start at 3.10 US Dollars (1000-up, FOB USA).
An evaluation kit, the MAX15048EVKIT+, is available to speed design times and is priced at 125 US Dollars.
- Chip-scale bi-directional MOSFETs enable higher capacity lithium batteries
- Heliatek completes world's first BIOPV concrete façade installation
- ams expands PMIC family for mobile multi-core ARM processors
- Low-power FRAM with integrated counter function, for energy harvesting apps
- Ultrathin 3-A micromodule regulator fits 6.25-mm x 6.25-mm footprint
- High-efficiency wireless power transmitters for wire-free charging
- Buck converters enable smarter power regulation
- Secure NFC/RFID tag authenticator with energy harvesting
- Triple output lab power supply offers paralleling and tracking
- Power metering IC platform cuts design time for worldwide utilities
- Low-voltage MOSFETs optimise footprint with dual-sided cooling packages
- High-voltage, latchup-free analogue switches come in 16-ch BGA packages
- Heliatek installs largest BIOPV in Germany
- 40V, 400mA output, step-down regulator has dual tracking LDOs
- 4.5V - 36V full-bridge DC motor driver cuts complexity
- From 20x faster batteries to spray-on solar cells
- The benefits of the coupled inductor technology
- French-German collaborators claim solar cell efficiency world record
- Can Fool's gold reduce the cost of solar cells?
- Vicor extends “component power” concepts with VIA package
- BMW and Tesla look at car battery alliance
- Electrostatic potential technique harvests more of the sun’s energy
- Australian researchers claim solar energy efficiency world record
- Death to "half-power handsets"
- Product How-to: Power supply Black Box revolutionizes customer diagnostics
- EnOcean eyes the consumer market
- New electrolyte promises cheaper high efficiency magnesium-sulfur batteries
- Do electric vehicle batteries on the grid make sense?
- How does a Blu-ray disc improve solar cell performance?
- LXI + PoE: Essential design considerations
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems
- Smartphone SoC Power Efficiency - DVFS Capacitor Switching
- Power Modules: The New Super Power
- Digital Power Management Reduces Energy Costs While Improving System Performance
- How to Charge Supercapacitor Banks for Energy Storage