Three-output DC-DC controllers with tracking/sequencing reduce 40nm logic devices costs
The controllers drive external MOSFETs to deliver a regulated 0.6 V to 19 V output voltage and up to 15 A of load current per output.
Additionally, integrated tracking/sequencing allows customers to seamlessly control core and I/O voltages. This combination of versatility, integration, and performance makes the MAX15048/MAX15049 well suited for a variety of high-reliability power-supply applications such as those in telecom, networking, storage, and server equipment.
The MAX15048/MAX15049 are precision engineered to eliminate external components and save costs. They operate from a wide 4.7 V to 23 V input range to support low-cost battery packs, as well as the latest 40 nm ASICs. Each PWM section operates from a programmable switching frequency (200 kHz to 1.2 MHz). Operating at 1.2 MHz and 120 degrees out-of-phase increases the input capacitor ripple frequency to 3.6 MHz. This reduces the RMS input ripple current and, thus, the size of the input bypass capacitor. The MAX15048/MAX15049 integrate bootstrap diodes for additional system cost savings.
The devices feature digital soft-start/soft-stop for glitch-free power-up and power-down. Power-good circuitry monitors all three outputs and provides a signal to the system controller/processor when all outputs are within regulation to enable system-level monitoring.
Integrated protection features include lossless valley-mode current limiting, hiccup-mode output short-circuit protection, and thermal shutdown.
Availability and Pricing
The MAX15048/MAX15049 are offered in a thermally enhanced, 5 mm x 5 mm, 32-pin TQFN package, and are fully specified over the -40 to +85 degrees Celsius extended temperature range. Prices start at 3.10 US Dollars (1000-up, FOB USA).
An evaluation kit, the MAX15048EVKIT+, is available to speed design times and is priced at 125 US Dollars.
- Integrated 7.8 mΩ power switch handles 9A, with reverse-blocking
- LLC controller claims best-in-class efficiency for isolated DC-DC converters
- Magnetic-feedback PSU ICs applied to auxiliary/standby supplies to 35W
- 1A, 2 MHz, 60V boost/SEPIC/inverting DC/DC converter, 6µA Iq
- Wireless power made easy with plug-and-play reference kits
- 600V power FETs that get 'close to perfection', says ST
- 1.5A, 15V synchronous boost regulator with output disconnect
- Vertical GaN-based transistors produce blocking voltage exceeding 1kV
- Energy harvesting power management IC addresses wireless sensors
- True building-integrated photovoltaics about to take-off, says n-tech Research
- Synchronous rectifier controller maximises efficiency across load profiles
- 42V quad synchronous step-down DC/DC reaches 93% efficiency
- Power amplifiers cover 2-50 GHz to simplify instrumentation applications
- IGBT and diode function on single chip deliver enhanced reliability
- 3-channel, fully-integrated ultralow power regulator/switch
- Will DIY spray-on solar cells be a reality soon?
- Porsche reveals prototype battery-driven sports car
- Transparent coating cools solar cells while boosting efficiency
- More-than-Moore will lead, argues GloFo's Wijburg
- Elon Musk targets high-volume solar panel dominance
- Dialog to acquire Atmel for USD4.6bn in IoT push
- Super-battery charges mobile devices in 15 seconds or less
- Hybrid solar panel roof helps slash energy bills
- Are mushrooms the answer to lithium-ion battery degradation?
- World efficiency record claimed for both sides-contacted solar cells
- DC-DC Conversion Handbook on GaN
- Heat helps rechargeable batteries extend lifetimes
- Report: Cypress preps bid to snatch Atmel from Dialog
- Next-Generation batteries - Can all-silicon anodes be commercially viable?
- Can electron superhighway drives organic solar panel innovations?
- Determine Balancing Current for the LTC3305 Lead-Acid Battery Balancer
- Testing PSRR with High-Frequency Ripple
- Why Making the Move from a Variable Transformer to a VariPLUS is the Right Decision
- A SEPIC Fed Buck Converter
- Minimizing the Impact of Source Resistance on High-Voltage DC to DC Converters
- Dual Phase Buck Controller Drives High Density 1.2V/60A Supply with Submilliohm DCR Sensing
- Battery Management System Tutorial