Three-output DC-DC controllers with tracking/sequencing reduce 40nm logic devices costs
The controllers drive external MOSFETs to deliver a regulated 0.6 V to 19 V output voltage and up to 15 A of load current per output.
Additionally, integrated tracking/sequencing allows customers to seamlessly control core and I/O voltages. This combination of versatility, integration, and performance makes the MAX15048/MAX15049 well suited for a variety of high-reliability power-supply applications such as those in telecom, networking, storage, and server equipment.
The MAX15048/MAX15049 are precision engineered to eliminate external components and save costs. They operate from a wide 4.7 V to 23 V input range to support low-cost battery packs, as well as the latest 40 nm ASICs. Each PWM section operates from a programmable switching frequency (200 kHz to 1.2 MHz). Operating at 1.2 MHz and 120 degrees out-of-phase increases the input capacitor ripple frequency to 3.6 MHz. This reduces the RMS input ripple current and, thus, the size of the input bypass capacitor. The MAX15048/MAX15049 integrate bootstrap diodes for additional system cost savings.
The devices feature digital soft-start/soft-stop for glitch-free power-up and power-down. Power-good circuitry monitors all three outputs and provides a signal to the system controller/processor when all outputs are within regulation to enable system-level monitoring.
Integrated protection features include lossless valley-mode current limiting, hiccup-mode output short-circuit protection, and thermal shutdown.
Availability and Pricing
The MAX15048/MAX15049 are offered in a thermally enhanced, 5 mm x 5 mm, 32-pin TQFN package, and are fully specified over the -40 to +85 degrees Celsius extended temperature range. Prices start at 3.10 US Dollars (1000-up, FOB USA).
An evaluation kit, the MAX15048EVKIT+, is available to speed design times and is priced at 125 US Dollars.
- Single-channel comparator extends battery life in low-voltage portable devices
- Extended temperature MOSFETs offer power density benefits
- Wide Vin, four-switch buck-boost DC/DC offers efficiency with reduced EMI
- 500 mA, 1.5 MHz, 65V boost DC/DC converter
- 65-V synchronous step-down converter for industrial, smart grid, automotive
- Wireless power receiver shortens charging times, improves thermal performance
- Programmable PMIC powers high-current digital cores
- High-temperature N-channel power MOSFETs feature integrated drivers
- Renesas MCUs cut power demand in domestic/industrial sensing
- 25-V and 30-V N-channel power MOSFETs offer lowest Rdson in a QFN package
- Solar film air dome solution targets energy self-sufficiency
- Configurable buck DC/DCs: 8A from 2 to 4 independent outputs
- ROHM extends Rutronik’s franchise to a global agreement
- Automotive-grade buck regulator delivers 3A
- Programmable quad output PMIC for FPGA, SoC, DSP power
- High efficiency resonant mode implementation using digital control
- A simple method for determining the optimal operating point of an LED
- Can Dyson clean up in the battery sector?
- IKEA and Samsung back Qi wireless charging advance
- Data-acquisition: The key to a smart electrical grid
- WPT breaks all connections, Part 1
- Solar-powered plane completes first leg of global record attempt
- Battery-less IoT connectivity enabled by low-power & multi-standard wireless MCU
- Solar plane passes new test ahead of planned world tour
- Lithium battery shipments on passenger planes face ban
- Real-time power GaN waveform monitoring
- Lithium storage principle offers higher energy storage densities
- Advantages of power blocks for high-current POLs
- Is UK Government cutting solar subsidies too soon?
- Cheaper ultrathin perovskite solar cells target commerical viability
- High Performance Portable DC Bench Power Supply: Save Money and Free Up Bench Real Estate by Building Your Own
- A Four-Quadrant DC/DC Switching Regulator Smoothly Transitions from Positive to Negative Output Voltages for FPGA and Other Applications
- Investigating Die attach Failure in IGBTs using Power Cycling Tests
- Power Systems Design eBook
- Wireless Power User Guide
- A Novel Approach to Industrial Rectifier Systems
- Smartphone SoC Power Efficiency - DVFS Capacitor Switching