TI claims the industry's smallest High-Speed USB protection device for portable applications
Should the device junction temperature exceed 150 degrees Celsius, the switch turns off to the power rail, thus protecting against over-temperature conditions. To protect the power rail from a moving voltage line, the load switch in the TPD4S014 immediately opens, preventing under- or over-voltage if the power supply rail drops lower than 2.8 V or higher than 6.15 V.
Designers can implement the TPD4S014 in many design configurations that require a small footprint, such as cell phones, e-books, portable media players and digital cameras, tablets, embedded computing, portable navigation, portable land surveying, and portable test and measurement.
The TPD4S014 claims to be the first device to offer four types of protection in a single compact package: over-voltage, under-voltage, over-temperature and ESD.
Texas Instruments says the TPD4S014 is the industry’s smallest USB protection device for all four USB channels, 75 percent smaller than competing devices that only offer ESD protection.
The device offers protection for all four High-Speed USB (USB 2.0) channels: D+, D-, V BUS and ID.
The TPD4S014 complies with the highest level of ESD protection, with immunity of ±8-kV contact discharge and ±15-kV air-gap discharge per IEC61000-4-2 system-level ESD immunity testing.
The device is compatible with both Full Speed and High Speed, supporting data rates of up to 480 Mbps..
Availability and Pricing
The TPD4S014 comes in a 10-pin, 4-mm 2 DSQ SON package and is in full production now. The TPD4S014 is available from TI and authorized distributors with the suggested resale price of $0.55 in quantities of 1,000.
More information about the TPD4S014 High-Speed USB protection device at
- Expanded ecosystem of ultra-low power MCUs speeds capacitive touch design development
- Integrated PFC IC for compact consumer products
- USB 2.0 hub controller chip enables rapid charging via a single USB connector
- Driver chip features primary-side peak-current mode for high-brightness LEDs
- Ultra-low noise, high PSRR linear voltage regulators reduce jitter, simplify power design
- Gallium nitride delivers 97.5 percent efficiency in PFC-corrected supply
- Silica starts roll out of design support strategy focused on power applications
- TI extends remote control portfolio with Bluetooth low energy solution
- Low noise, 1-mV output ripple, 5-A step-down uModule regulator supports data converters and high speed transceivers
- USB video card delivers feature-rich H.264 compression
- Volvo evaluates flywheel hybrid drive - fuel savings of up to 25%
- PV storage market is set to grow to USD19bn by 2017
- Ultra-low-power SoC supports world's smallest Bluetooth location stickers
- Power-One enters into patent license agreement with Microchip
- Quad-MOSFET solution boosts efficiency and eliminates heat sinking in active bridge applications
- Imec and Renesas collaborate on ultra-low power short range radios
- Solar industry capital spending hits seven-year low in 2013 but upturn is on the cards
- Market for GaN and SiC power semiconductors set to rise by factor of 18 in next decade
- Advanced microcontroller combines floating point and low leakage technology to achieve longest battery lifetime in portable applications
- World's lowest power Bluetooth smart chip is unveiled
- Dangers of Aftermarket Counterfeit Battery Packs
- High Voltage Surge Stoppers Ensure Reliable Operation During Power Surges
- Motor-Drive Design made Simple
- Adaptive Cell Converter Topology Enables Constant Efficiency in PFC Applications
- Micropower Isolated Flyback Converter with Input Voltage Range from 6V to 100V
- Derating of Schottky Diodes
- Heatsink Optimization
- High Performance ZVS Buck Regulator Removes Barriers To Increased Power Throughput
- Waste heat replaces batteries
- Stepper Motor Control IC